Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Homemaker's A-Z Index ~ Prepare Your Own Pantry/Products



Before there was the "grocery store" and "bulk food warehouses", there was your backyard…
“The first supermarket supposedly appeared on the American landscape in 1946. That is not very long ago. Until then, where was all the food? Dear folks, the food was in homes, gardens, local fields, and forests. It was near kitchens, near tables, near bedsides. It was in the pantry, the cellar, the backyard.”
~ Joel Salatin, Excerpt from


Do you feel the urge to build up your own reserves like the sisterhood before us? In these uncertain times, it is a personal goal of mine... We can produce items for our homes that do not include added chemicals, toxic processes and preservatives that are causing many bizarre health issues. By personally preparing our pantry foods, making our own medicinal remedies, being resourceful with what we grow and creating our own cleaning products, we can provide like the woman of yesteryear but with the blessing of modern day advantages. 

Below is an A - Z index of homemaking recipes and ideas from this blog based upon "being creative with what you have". These items have been shared in the past and are being updated weekly. Be sure to check back (there will be a link to this post on my side bar) when you need some suggestions regarding what to do with your abundance of...

Apples

Avocados

Bananas

Beans

Beets

Bell Peppers

Broccoli

Butternut Squash

Cabbage

Calendula

Carrots

Chamomile

Eggs

Elderberry

Figs

Fruit Scraps


Garlic

Grapes

Honey

Lavender

Lemons

Oats/Oatmeal

Onions

Oranges

Peaches

Peppermint


Pomegranates

Potatoes

Pumpkins

Squash
Strawberries

Tomatoes

Zucchini

You may also be interested in creating an herbal for all your household DIY recipes:



"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
~Theodore Roosevelt

20 comments:

  1. This is great! Just started freezing eggs. Gonna have to read all if your Links on eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I have ten dozen eggs staring at me right now… YES!

      Delete
  2. Your posts are always full of such great information - thank you, sweet JES! And freezing eggs! I have never heard of doing that :) I'll definitely have to read more on that. Enjoy your day.

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Ideas :)
    I want to invite you to share your wisdom with us at the HomeAcre Hop on Thursdays :)
    http://www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invitation. I will have to stop over soon :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, JES!! Welcome home! I am assuming you are back :) I have been wondering how you are and how the trip was!
    This post is amazing...you are one industrious gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more than the rest of you :) I try and accomplish at least one item a week… Small goals slowly build up to nice results ;)
      We will have to "visit" soon!

      Delete
  5. So much to read, so little time! Love that I am getting your updates in my 'inbox' again. Such refreshment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so very helpful!
    I'm going to pin it!

    Blessings,
    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you from On The Farm Blog Hop - I'm a homemaker and think this series is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh… Thank you Lea for stopping by and sharing! Happy homemaking :) and nice to "meet" you ~ JES

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I hope it comes in handy :) Thanks for stoppin in...

      Delete
  9. You always have everything so organized!!! Thanks for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friend Tessa chose this as her favorite for the From the Farm blog hop! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome - and even more awesome that you'll be updating it I've often thought of making my own "what to do with" list and cross reference it with the related recipes, shopping list, and/or instructions. You've given me a great head start with this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I hope this helps! I love a good list too :)

      Delete