Monday, June 17, 2013

Coconut Honeybee Lip Balm


Are you a lover of lip balm? It's a part of my daily wardrobe. Ever since we made the body scrubs together, my daughter has enjoyed making natural body products. We love these soothing sticks and are pleased to share our recipe with you!



If you have never made any, you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy they are! Lip balms don't require any fancy equipment either. While many recipes are measured in volume, this one uses old-fashioned measuring spoons and will produce 3 - 4 "chap-sticks".

Simple Supplies:


To begin, pack a tablespoon tightly with shredded beeswax.

Note: It is easier to remove wax if you grease the spoon first.


Place 4 tsp. of coconut oil and 1 tsp. of jojoba oil in a heatproof glass (such as a Pyrex measuring cup).

Add in your measured beeswax.

If using a double boiler, place all your ingredients (except for the honey) in there.

If you don't own a double boiler, place your heatproof bowl/glass inside of a small pot filled with water like we did. 


Bring water to a simmer and stir mixture inside until it is clear and smooth. Remove from heat.


The next step is to add 1/4 tsp. of honey into your melted mixture.


Stir it in until smooth, making sure that the honey is completely dissolved.

Let sit a few minutes and stir one more time to incorporate the honey.


Pour mixture into your containers as soon as possible because it will start to thicken. If your mixture does thicken up before containers are filled, then simply reheat in the double boiler and re-pour.







For best results, let your lip balm set overnight prior to capping.

These make excellent gifts so "bee" creative and melt and pour your own!


Here are some of our homemade labels if you are interested.

We simply used a glue stick to apply them.


29 comments:

  1. These look like a good project to do with my girls!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this I will have to try :) I am constantly using chapstick since I live where it's dry, but I would much rather use something natural like this - thanks for sharing, sweet friend! I hope you are doing well.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, this is on my Summer to-do list ;o) Blessings, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds nice! I'd like to pin it for later use, but unfortunately, I don't see a "pin it" button. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still haven't figured out how to install that dear "pin it" button. Sorry :(

      Delete
    2. Nana, you can get your own pin it download from the Pinterest site and add it to your favorites column, then you can pin anything that is pinable. Blessings, Melissa

      Delete
  5. I want to try this! It looks like a fun summer project to do with my 7 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had this on my list of things to do and this post just encouraged me to get moving!!! So simple! I love your recipe as well!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...I am so going to make this!!!

    ~Katie
    www.simplefoody.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. JES, I have only made several things with beeswax...years ago...I really need to do this since burt's bees products are now slipping in 'not-so-good' ingredients to their mix! Love this and need to judt do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that about Burt's Bees too which was my former favorite. This is our new way and we love the smell even more with the coconut oil :) It really is easy so I hope you give it a try :)

      Delete
  9. I began making our own soap, lotion bars and lip balm recently. The beeswax gives it slight sweet/honey scent and flavor, but I never thought about adding extra honey to the lip balm. Thank you for sharing this! we'll be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi There! We really enjoyed your lip balm tutorial! We've shared it as one of our favorites on From The Farm Blog Hop from last week. We'll be sharing it on pinterest and on our facebook page over the next week. Thanks for linking up! We are looking forward to seeing what you have to share this week.
    http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog/wordpress/from-the-farm-blog-hop-39/

    Thanks,
    Leona from www.myhealthygreenfamily.com (From The Farm Co-Host)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your posts!Thank you for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for linking up with Make Bake Create! I love this idea and hope I can make some for me and my girls soon! Hope you're having a great week so far.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great natural alternative. Need to buy some beeswax. Thanks for sharing. (From Teach Me Tuesday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many uses for beeswax, you will not be disappointed! Lotions, creams, balms...

      Delete
  14. Good Afternoon Jes!

    I love that you post all natural homemade goods on your blog. It's so refreshing to see! And, it always gets me all inspired. Thank you! Now, I need some beeswax and I'm ready to make my own chapstick. Yay!

    Have a wonderful day!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it Amy! Reminds me of the Burt's Bees :) Happy kitchen-crafting :)

      Delete
  15. I have always wanted to try making lip balm. This looks like a great one to try! Pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to try this! It look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember this post from a couple of years ago :) Thank you, dear friend, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great and so easy to make, thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  19. JES , this is just fabulous .My youngest daughter has some kind of reaction to regular lip balms . They make her lips more dry and cracked ! I think this would be a wonderful solution .
    Thank you for sharing this on Wearing with Wisdom . I look forward to having you come back next Wednesday and share another great Post !
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a really fun project. My husband and I have made soap and have thought about taking it further but just haven't done so yet. This might be a good first project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun gift idea! I love that it's easy enough for my girls to do for Christmas presents for their friends. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! Will Vitamin E oil make a good substitute for the jojoba oil? I have that on hand at the moment. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete