A picture tells a thousand words… which is probably why children love to look at them in books. So many things are being said without them having to read one sentence. We love picture books in our household and have quite an assortment but our favorites are the ones that present biblical principles. These are worth their weight in gold for such gems are gleaned which shape the lives of our children. Here are some favorites from our bookshelf...
Suitable for Boys and Girls
- Sanji's Seed: A Story About Honesty by B. J. Reinhard Young children will enjoy the adventure and suspense as they travel with Sanji and face two of the most difficult issues of early childhood honesty and embarrassment. Young Sanji has always dreamed of becoming King, but his dreams are dependent upon the growth of a tiny seed. Though Sanji does his best to care for his seed, it refuses to sprout. How can he face the King and the other boys? Should he replace his seed with another? This is one story that will leave an imprint upon your child's heart!
- Hedge of Thorns (Illustrated Version), rewritten by Mary Hamilton Curious to know what is on the other side of the hedge? Join John Carrol as he journeys beyond the boundaries and learns a lesson he will never forget. Based on a true story.
- Teach Them to Your Children: An Alphabet of Biblical Poems, Verses, and Stories by Sarah Wean Designed to teach biblical concepts to children of any age through scriptures, poems, and stories that correspond with each letter in the alphabet, this book was created to give parents a tool with which to disciple their children. With large, colorfulillustrations in a sturdy, hardback format, your children will relate to the true-to-life stories while being reminded of the scriptural character lesson through fun, easy-to-memorize verses and poems.
- Teddy's Button (Illustrated), Edited by Mark Hamby This tale will open a child's understanding of the spiritual battle within as Teddy learns that he is his own worst enemy! As a stubborn boy and girl refuse to back down from their selfish pride, one of the many lessons they learn is that they cannot win battles by force and hate, but by carrying the banner of love. Through this charming story, Amy LeFeuvre helps children to understand the spiritual battle that rages in their souls, and that parents and children are on the same side.
- The Beggar's Blessing, retold by Mark Hamby A true story from the 1800s about a little girl who sacrificed her savings for a starving beggar. Full-color illustrations will capture the hearts of children as they learn that sacrifice is the cornerstone for surprising blessings. This is a story that you will never forget and is sure to become a children’s classic!
- The Lord Builds the House: The 127th Psalm by Johannah Bluedorn The 127th Psalm has never looked so beautiful. Trivium Pursuit is pleased to announce the release of their newest children's picturebook The Lord Builds the House: The 127th Psalm by Johannah Bluedorn. 40 original paintings create stunning, colorful windows on every line of the Psalm, which begins Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. In Johannah Bluedorn's rich vision, each verse of the Psalm is illustrated with a portrait of sumptuous simplicity: farm and wild animals celebrate the bounty of nature; the beauty of family; the achievements of builders, bakers, and book authors; and the miracle of God's protection. The book makes the Psalm accessible to very young children, and reminds adults of God's provision for animals as well as for His people.
Excellent for Boys
- The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart by Jennie Bishop
- A Little Book of Manners for Boys: A Game Plan for Getting Along with Others by Bob Barnes
- A Little Boy After God's Own Heart by Jim George
- God's Wisdom for Little Boys: Character-Building Fun from Proverbs by Jim George
- Sanji's Seed: A Story About Honesty by B. J. Reinhard
- Teddy's Button (Illustrated), Edited by Mark Hamby
- George Muller: Does Money Grow On Trees? (Little Lights Series) by Catherine MacKenzie
- Hudson Taylor: Can Somebody Pass The Salt (Little Lights Series) by Catherine MacKenzie
Excellent for Girls
- The Three Weavers, Edited by Mark Hamby
- The Princess and the Kiss: A Story of God's Gift of Purity by Jennie Bishop
Wisdom in Choosing a Husband
- The Princess and the Three Knights by Karen Kingsbury
- The Garden Wall: A Story of Love Based on I Corinthians 13 by Jennie Bishop
- A Little Book of Manners: Courtesy & Kindness for Young Ladies by Emilie Barnes
- A Little Princess in the Making: A Royal Guide to Becoming a Girl of Grace by Emilie Barnes
- The Running Rooster (Grandmother's Hope Chest, Volume 1) by Rebekah Wilson
- Lucie's Snowflakes (Grandmother's Hope Chest, Volume 2) by Rebekah Wilson
- Let's Have a Tea Party!: Special Celebrations for Little Girls by Emilie Barnes
- Princess Tea Parties: Royal Gatherings for Little Ladies by Michael Sparks
Historical Role Models
- A Light Kindled ~ The Story of Priscilla Mullins by Tracy M. Leininger
- Unfading Beauty ~ The Story of Dolley Madison by Tracy M. Leininger
- The Land Beyond the Setting Sun ~ The Story of Sacagewea by Tracy M. Leininger
- Nothing Can Separate Us ~ The Story of Nan Harper by Tracy M. Leininger
- Corrie Ten Boom: Shining in the Darkness (Heroes for Young Readers)by Renee Meloche
- Corrie Ten Boom: Are All The Watches Safe (Little Lights) by Catherine Mackenzie
- Amy Carmichael: Can Brown Eyes Be Made Blue (Little Lights) by Catherine MacKenzie
You may also be interested in:
- Geography in Picture Books
- Peter Rabbit ~ Precious Playtime
- "Help Me Be Good" Book Set ~ Child Rearing Gems
- Is Your Media "God Friendly"?
- Learning to Read with Dick and Jane & Other Helpful Resources
- Miller Family Series Read Aloud Books ~ Character Building Basics
- Our Favorite Creation Science Videos
- Pioneers for Little Ones ~ Precious Playtime
- Raggedy Ann & Andy ~ Precious Playtime
- Teaching Children with Books
This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making Mondays, Modest Mom Monday's, Homestead Barn Hop, Monday's Musings, Titus 2sdays, Teach Me Tuesday, Raising Homemakers, Make Bake Create, Wise Woman Link Up, Christian Homemaking, Wow Us Wednesdays, Wildcrafting Wednesday, The Scoop, So Much at Home, Homemaking Thursdays, Hearts for Home Thursdays, Growing in Grace Thursdays, Home Acre Hop, From the Farm Blog Hop, Farmgirl Friday, Front Porch Friday Blog Hop, Simple Meals Friday, Cultivate Nourishing and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these.