Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Make Your Own Luxurious Lavender Bath Salts


Some of you already know that I *love* lavender and *love* making things derived from these precious plants. This luxurious bath salt is another example of what we can prepare from our back yard!

Lavender is thought to come from the Latin word "lavare" which means "to wash". I can't think of a more therapeutic way to use this amazing flower than with a long and hot soak. It detoxifies, heals and soothes your skin while the aroma is known to be calming.


All you need to make these bath salts is course sea salt (epsom salts can also be used), dried lavender and a clean jar with lid. If you don't have a bath tub, then consider making this a gift for a friend that does. Prepare this present while the lavender is abundant and you have a wonderful treat to give in the autumn and winter when a warm bath is desired.


You can purchase dried lavender or dry your own like we did.


The ratio I used to make the salts is 1/8 cup of dried flowers to 1 cup of course sea salt (you can go as little as 1 tbsp. dried flowers to 1 cup of sea salt). You don't want to put too much lavender in because they will float in the bath and potentially clog your drain. You could also use a sachet bag to avoid the loose herbs.


Mix together the salt and dried flowers.

Optional: You may add in a few drops of lavender essential oil for aromatherapy benefits.


Pour into a clean jar (I recycled an old condiment jar).


Label with love and decorate with ribbon if you plan on gifting (our label is shared below for your use).


Directions: Add approx. 1/2 cup to bath water as the tub is being filled. Soak in the goodness…

Enjoy the numerous health benefits of sea salt soaks!


"You shall make of these an incense,
a compound according to the art of the perfumer,
salted, pure, and holy."
~ Exodus 30:35


You may also be interested in What to Do and Make with Lovely Lavender.



9 comments:

  1. I love Lavender!
    I need to plant some. There are so many things you can do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, which is why it is a favorite around these parts ;)

      Delete
  2. I love Lavender too! I love your packaging. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, thank you for sharing your posts on Wildcrafting Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lavender!! When I make lavender bath salts, I powder my lavender flowers/herb & add to the salts... this way there is no clogging the drain... yes, it still floats, but it's wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tj, I have been blending my herbs lately too and love the results! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. What a marvellous site! So much lovely, helpful information & quotations. Especially about dandelions. Unfortunately I am alone amongst my friends in thinking they are one of the most beautiful flowers in God's creation. Q - for the bath salts, could Epson salts be used? M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, epsom salts would be excellent too! Thank you for sharing here today :)

      Delete
  6. These are amazing! I would love to try to make some! Thanks my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete