Thursday, February 12, 2015

Period Movies for the Romantic Hearted and Sentimental Soul

“Take away love and our earth is a tomb.” 
~ Robert Browning

I took a day trip to old England last week.  I strolled along the countryside and walked among the peaceful meadows. I took in the lovely landscapes of wild birds and wild flowers. I toured the homes of the rich and the poor, saw how they lived, where they supped and what they ate in their grand castles and cozy cottages. I also witnessed their sweet and sentimental love stories. It was a peek into the past and it was all very romantic!


Though we don't watch television in our home, an old fashioned period movie, on occasion, is a delightful treat. Especially in the cooler months, to curl up in the evenings with a cup of hot chocolate while viewing beautiful, feminine dresses, ivy-covered cottages with breathtaking lush, green scenery. This is "cream" to my coffee! It is a gentle getaway for this romantic-hearted homemaker.



We will begin in the Regency Era. The music and cinematography put me into a trance... walking with a book through the open fields, entering the quaint country property, crossing the shimmering waters, geese gracefully flapping their feathered wings, the clothesline waving its white linens in the fresh spring breeze, and finally the tranquil sound of the black and white piano keys with a rush of swirling skirts... 

                    

“Her heart did whisper that he had done it for her.” 
~ Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

When one says the Regency Era, one is really saying "Jane Austen". Who could resist either screen depiction of Pride and Prejudice? They both have their own charms (movie and mini-series). Sense and Sensibility is a heart wrenching film but with a satisfying ending (I didn't include the other versions here because this one is by far the best in my opinion). {Note: Pictures of movies are all linked.}

                         

Persuasion is also a gem though I highly suggest that you read the book first in order to really appreciate this movie (BBC version and movie version). The turmoil that is going on in the main character's heart is hard to see and more understood through the words in the actual novel. I had always brushed that title aside but when I finally did read it, it became a favorite! It is the story of an enduring love.

                 

If you are in the mood for a light and sweet comedy, you will appreciate all three adaptions of Emma! I do think the Gwyneth Paltrow version is the finest depiction. However, the BBC mini-series is much more detailed which I also appreciate. I am always impressed by the gentle love and respect that Emma shows toward her father. I think her a nice role model for young ladies because of it.

                       

"...yet, even before he left the room, - and certainly, not five minutes after, the clear conviction dawned upon her, shined bright upon her, that he did love her; that he had loved her; that he would love her."
~ Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

We have now made our way into the Victorian Era. The Young Victoria is a delightful dessert for the history loving soul. I am smitten with this movie! There is also North and South which is my personal favorite in this time period (I consider it the Victorian Era twin to Pride and Prejudice and I know that is saying a lot). The Cranford Series is quite witty and wonderful. You will appreciate the dialog between these older, eccentric women. Basically, the movies based on the novels by Elizabeth Gaskell are all excellent (and if you are a reader and like old novels, give Mary Barton a try for a poignant tale).

                  

"I hold an old-fashioned notion that a happy marriage
is the crown of a woman's life." 
~ Beatrix Potter, Her Journal, 1894

The Lark Rise to Candleford collection is absolutely exquisite. It was so hard to see this heartwarming series end (excellent, excellent)! I think you would fall in love with it too!  And a movie for those melancholy moments is Jane Eyre. Ah, does it get any more heartbreaking and healing than this classic? I personally like the William Hurt version the best. And finally, there is Miss Potter (which has a bit of everything). This movie is enchanting. Just watching her watercolor paints dance among the parchment is mesmerizing!  

                      

“Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one’s life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one’s side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages betrayed the rhythm and the music, perhaps... perhaps... love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath.” 
~ L.M. Montgomery

I don't think I can end this Victorian Era list without touching on the Anne of Green Gable series. I think she is everyone's childhood favorite. And to not include her on a "romantic" list would simply break her heart! They have also done a "prequel" movie {Anne of Green Gables, A New Beginning} which hasn't received much popularity because it has strayed so much from the original story, but if you are an Anne fan, you would probably enjoy watching it "just because". {Note: there is an element I don't care for in the third movie though nothing actually happens, I wonder why they even include it! That is Hollywood for you!}

                 

And we must not forget the amazing and romantic stories of life on the American Frontier. The Love Comes Softly Series is still sweet to me. Though there is nothing like the first movie, I still enjoyed the others (I recently bought the 10-DVD collection of this series for $12.49 on Amazon!). Being full time farmers the last four years, the Sarah, Plain and Tall Trilogy has a close place in my heart as well! Oh, the value of rain and a loving and supportive wife! And finally, the newest Hallmark series, When Calls the Heart. I wasn't sure if I liked this at the beginning but after the third episode, I was hooked. Old fashioned, sweet and tender! I am looking forward to the second season now.

             

And finally, I will include these romantic-era period movies that would be suitable for family viewing. Who could forget the tender affection between the Captain and Maria in the Sound of Music? Another favorite is the Masterpiece edition of Pollyanna (just who was Auntie's mystery beau?). The Disney version depicts Pollyanna as a bit too saucy for my liking and this is a much sweeter story which is closer to the book! Lastly, The Adventures of Ociee Nash is a fun and pleasant look into the Edwardian Era with a bit of romance in the air for her aunt. These last three are all family friendly movies that everyone would enjoy. (Note: The Sarah, Plain and Tall Trilogy can also be classified as family-friendly.)


“I was made and meant to look for you and
wait for you and become yours forever.”
~ Robert Browning

This is another joy of being a keeper at home. In those quiet moments when the household is asleep, we can stroll into Candleford for a few moments, breath in the fresh country air and travel to beautiful places in the confines of our comfortable homes. It is quite the romantic little life, to be a homemaker, to have a husband you love, and to be his soulmate, called "wife".


“Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, the last of life, for which the first was made. Our times are in his hand who saith, 'A whole I planned, youth shows but half; Trust God: See all, nor be afraid!” 
~ Robert Browning

What are your favorite period dramas? Is there something I didn't list? I purposely keep away from movies that have scandal, "forbidden" adulterous relationships as the main theme and lust for a married person (so this would exclude classics like Wuthering Heights). I have "seen" adultery work in real life and I am not interested in honoring it on the screen. There is NOTHING romantic about it. The same goes with unnatural relationships (so this would exclude the latest popular period TV drama). I am also looking for G and/or PG ratings for our movies with the main character displaying high moral standards. With that being said, do you have anything to share? I would love to hear from you!
This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making Mondays, Marriage MondayModest Mom Monday'sMonday's MusingsMake Your Home Sing MondayGood Morning Mondays,  The ScoopTitus 2sdaysTitus 2 TuesdaysRoses of InspirationTuesdays with a TwistRaising HomemakersWise Woman Link UpHomestead Blog Hop Wow Us Wednesdays, Wildcrafting WednesdayCoffee and ConversationSo Much at HomeHomemaking ThursdaysHome Sweet HomeHearts for Home ThursdaysHome Acre HopGrowing in Grace ThursdaysFrom the Farm Blog HopFarmgirl FridayFront Porch Friday Blog HopAwesome Life Friday Link UpSimply Natural Saturdays and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these. All the beautiful paintings are by Edmund Leighton Blair.

88 comments:

  1. Hi Jes, What a wonderful post and perfect for this time of year when we are inside more and can enjoy a great movie like those you share. This is a fabulous list and I am going to refer to this often.
    Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend.
    Hugs and Blessings, CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! :) Let me know if you discover any favorites!

      Delete
  2. There's a couple of movies here I haven't seen, but I love the ones I have. Did you know the actress from Anne of Green Gables is in a new show now? It's not a good show, by any means, I had to quit watching it after the first one, but I was so excited to see "Anne" again. (I wish they wouldn't ruin perfectly nice stories with not nice stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why oh why is the question. I think the answer is in boycotting the immoral movies so there wouldn't be a reason to continue with them. I probably would have tried them too if I saw "Anne" in the line up. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all the work you did creating this post and suggesting many excellent movies. I admire many of the ones you share here and there are few I have yet to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you enjoy any of the "new" ones then! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, JES... How I LOVE period dramas! And you've listed all my favourites! Last winter we worked our way through Larkrise to Candlefod and we were so sorry when it ended! What a beautiful series:). Another favourite of mine is Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell... Thank you for sharing these delightful movie titles!
    Blessings and love! Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both are excellent! Thanks for sharing Kelly-Anne. If only they would produce more of these types!!! :) Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed Lark Rise some, but sure wish that the one professing Christian (the mailman) was not such an unlikeable character. He always has a frown on his face and is a bit of a neurotic, acts strange at times. Not that that could never be true of a Christian, but strange that it just had to be him and not someone else (like the town atheist?). Also there was a pastor that showed one episode that ended up being a jerk. This has kept me from purchasing the series.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love period dramas too! Thank you for this post, I'm going to work my way through each and every one of these movies, I've seen only a couple...what a great way to spend our on coming winter months here in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, winter is the perfect time to snuggle up with a warm blanket, hot tea and a "clean" period drama! :) Thanks for sharing here today Cheryl!

      Delete
  6. I just picked up the BBC edition of Jane Eyre from the library yesterday! Although essentially a Christmas film, I think The Christmas Candle is a film that might suit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thank you for the suggestion. I have not seen that one! Will add it to my list. Thank you for sharing here today!

      Delete
  7. Jes,
    I too love period Dramas. I watch The Murdoch Mysteries on TV which is a detective drame filmed in Canada and placed in Toronto in the late 1800's. It is shown on one of our local TV stations and is currently still in production and in it's 8th season!! I also love the movie" Meet Me in St. Louis" with Judy Garland....... Love the Christmas scenes in that movie!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I have not seen any you mentioned... I will definitely check those out! Thank you for sharing Debbie! :)

      Delete
  8. You have all of my favorites listed and some I must try to see!
    I also enjoyed Cranford starring Dame Judy Dench by the BBC.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranford was delightful, wasn't it! Thanks for sharing Christine. Have a lovely weekend too! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, what fun, what fun. I've seen only a few of the dramas you have mentioned as we've not had a television in years and use only the computer for movies occasionally. We rarely buy them, but I may have to get a few of these. I'm just the same as you when it comes to a disreputable element in a film - it's just not right, and it ruins the story completely.
    Thank you for compiling this wonderful list of family-friendly films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does ruin the film. This is why we ditched the television too. Nothing worthwhile to watch...

      Delete
  10. I'm working my way through the "When the Heart Calls" series on dvd, and just started the first book. I'm not usually the type to read fiction, but loving this one. :) And the movies I've been listening to at night and glancing up to see a bit of while I hand stitch on a quilt. This last summer I went through the "Love Comes Softly" series as well, and then "Young Pioneers". I love how they are clean and you can watch these with children around and have no worries over content.

    Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a real sweet series Angie that leaves you peaceful and calm... Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  11. What a delightful post!! I very seldom watch tv, but I do occasionally like to watch a sweet movie. There are a few on your list I have not seen, and I have put "Mary Barton" on my list of books to buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them! And since you like older novels, I think you will like Mary Barton. I couldn't put it down. It had everything in it!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this list...there are a few on it I have loved, a few on my to-watch list, and a few I hadn't heard of yet. I just finished re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series so I think that will be first up (I have never seen a single one of them!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you will VERY much enjoy the movies!!! :) Thanks for visiting Natalie!

      Delete
    2. I love all of these movies, and thought you might be interested in another one that I love. It is 'The Grand Hotel' -- the one made in Spain. It was on Netflix, and yes it has subtitles. I have tried to find it on DVD, but cannot find one for region 1. It is very well done and it is long, but gets better as it goes along. If you ever get the chance to see it, it is worth every minute.

      Donna

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing Donna. I will take a look at it! I have never heard of it... I appreciate you taking the time to comment and share! :)

      Delete
  13. This is a wonderful list. I think I've seen about 90% of them. I would add "Little Dorritt" and "Bleak House". They are BBC production based on Dickens' books by the same name. Dickens doesn't write strictly romance, but the romance in his books is always sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a woman after my own movie heart :) I also liked Little Dorrit and Bleak House and contemplated adding them, however they were a bit more dark than what I was going after in this list. Perhaps my "mystery movie" list :) But, I agree, Dickens does include a sweet romantic storyline and his main character in both of those show high moral standards which I really appreciate! Thanks so much for sharing Jennifer! If you ever come across any others in the future, please let me know. Sounds like we like the same kinds!

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful list! I truly respect your opinions, so this is a great resource. We recently watched a movie we bought at Lifeway Christian store called "The Redemption of Henry Myers". Oh, my word! It was wonderful....very moving and touching story that was a true blessing. I don't know if you have seen it, but if you haven't, I highly recommend it. Another one tat would fit nicely in this list (I think??), would be Max Lucado's "The Christmas Candle". It is WONDERFUL! And, another one we have really enjoyed is the "Christy" series...I suppose that time period may fit in here. Thanks again, JES! This was a fun and informative post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! Thanks for sharing. We did watch the Redemption of Henry Myers and liked it but I still have yet to see the Christmas Candle. You are the second one to mention it so I will have to look into it! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed the Christmas Candle. Ignore the bad reviews you read.

      Donna

      Delete
  15. Really, really enjoyed this post! How wonderful to have all these wonderful movies listed together in one place for a great reference! Thank you so much for providing the links and sharing your thoughts about the movies. Anne of Green Gables is a personal favorite - after all, I grew up on Prince Edward Island, so of course it is!

    I wanted to add one more to your list that i didn't see anyone else mention either - it is a beautiful heartwrenching love story - "Though None Go With Me" and it is a bit more modern than most you listed - but it is apparently a true story that took place back in teh 50s. Here is a link to the trailer for it. http://www.christianfilmdatabase.com/review/though-none-go-with-me/ I needed tissues watching this movie, and it is very inspiring overall!

    Thanks again for your work at putting these together for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You grew up on Prince Edward Island!!!! Oh my!! Before I give up the ghost, that is on my list of places to go! And thank you for reminding me about "Though None Go with Me". I have seen it MANY years ago. I will have to see that one again and perhaps add it to my future list of "Modern Movies for the Romantic Hearted and Sentimental Soul". Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
    2. My dear JES,
      I heartily thank you for this lovely trip around the movies belonging to the Regency and Victorian era, I do love them all !
      You have to know that we have a tv at home which is quite often off, we turn on it only for old fashioned movies, which we all in family do enjoy so much watching; our works take away from home during the day and living in the country some other work often waits for us, so we have such a little of spare time and taking a jump in the eras my husband and I feel to belong ( for some aspects of our personality, lost sentiments, culture and traditions ) well it makes me rejoice and cheers up my heart, believe me !
      With gratitude I'm sending blessings
      Dany

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing Daniela, I completely understand! I am glad you enjoyed this little trip through memory lane :)

      Delete
  16. I tried to comment earlier but I don't think it worked. :) I absolutely love Period Drama! Thank you so much for putting this list together! I have recently discovered your blog and it is fabulous, I just love all of it. I was wondering what part of the country you are in? Blessings and love on this St. Valentine's day! :) Steph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, Thank you for your sweet visit today. I hope you had a nice weekend! We live in the southernly parts :)

      Delete
  17. I love, love all of the titles you have chosen (and actually own most of them on DVD!) One more that I love is Her Majesty, Mrs Brown with Judi Dench playing an older Queen Victoria. It is a simply wonderful movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I have never heard of that one!!! Thank you for sharing! I will look into it! :) Anything with Queen Victoria has my interest!

      Delete
  18. What a great list!! You just cannot beat Anne of Green Gables...so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. So heartwarming, beautiful scenery, lovely... lovely...

      Delete
  19. My favourite must be the Sound of Music, and I enjoy Anne of Green Gables too. I also really like the Road to Avonlea and I am working through the last few series of that. Thanks for sharing this list a Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some of my favorite movies! Thank you for linking with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am bookmarking this post!!! It's like the complete guide to period romance, yay! There are so many of these on both my "to-watch" and "to-read" lists! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have seen many of these, but see many that I'd love to view. Hope you'll add Amaze Me Monday to your party list, would love for you to share!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh JES, the last picture of the bride signing the marriage certificate is so beautiful, romantic, and quite dreamy :)

    Thank you for an excellent list of movies - there are some that I have seen and love and some that I have not seen, but I know will soon come to love as well :) So glad you shared this at ROI. Enjoy your day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Jes! These are some of my favourites! Pride & prejudice (BBC is my favourite version), Larkrise, Anne of GG, and so many others! I can't wait to hopefully borrow out some ones I haven't watched yet, like Jayne eyre, Sarah plain and tall. This list is beautiful! My girls adore Pollyanna, they watched it today! I'm looking forward to snuggling on the lounge with a blanket, a cup of coffee and a cute kitty to cuddle! Thanks for sharing! Blessings to you lovely friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are some of my favorite movies and TV series too! Especially all the British dramas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful choices! Pride & Prejudice is a personal favourite. Love all the beautiful pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks like we watch and like the same movies, I think I have seen 98% of what you posted. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else to suggest

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this thorough list! We have 8 daughters (7 still at home!) and thus we own many of these movies (haha!). We will have to check out the rest. I followed you here from Hearts for Home.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE a lot of these movies, but there are some I haven't watched yet. I'll have to look for them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ann of Green Gables and Love Comes Softly are some favorites in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just LOVE all your movie recommendations! I have 4 daughters and we agree with all on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I pinned this so I can refer to it later!! This looks like the type of movies my daughter and I love to watch together.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful list, I have watched some of them but I am ALWAYS looking for good, wholesome movies to watch! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fine list! These are my favorite types of movies. You may enjoy the series called, "Road to Avonlea" from the same makers of Anne of Green Gables. It's fun to see Marilla Cuthbert and Rachel Lynde again, plus the stories are joyful. My family just finished watching the entire series.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really love all of the British influence! My husband is British and all of my household are dual Brit/American citizens, so the Period Films are definitely part of our DVD collection. You have mentioned some here that I haven't seen, so thank you for that. Have you ever been to England? It is definitely worth the trip if you can ever get there. We recently went to Bath while visiting friends and family. My children were so funny quoting from period films we have that are set in that great city. (Namely, the pump room that is in so many Austen films). Thanks for compiling this list!
    Hilary at Wholesome Reads

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jes,
    I had to come back and search through to find this particular post to tell you that
    of all the DVDs listed I have every one , but one !! ( we don't watch regular tv :-D )
    So I went right away and bought the When Calls The Heart series ! ! What a wonderful
    Series!! HubbyBear loved it too!! And then we started watching the Christie series too!
    This post that you put together is a wonderful compilation of good wholesome and lovely
    movies! And you did a marvelous job of presenting them! Thanks for your lovely blogging!!!
    Much warmth and many Blessings xx oo Linnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the feedback! Our DVD collection is our only TV too so I am quite choosy and was happy to find these over the years. My husband also enjoyed When Calls the Heart which is a big bonus! Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  37. What a great collection of possibilities... finding wholesome movies can be quite a challenge... and it is hard to start a movie, start to get interested in it, then have to shut it off. Thank you for the list... very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Little Women, Road to Avonlea, Christie, and Little House on the Prairie are other favorites of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is a lovely list and I had never heard of The Adventures of Ociee Nash - thank you for sharing it. I will add it to the Best Period Dramas: Family Friendly list on Willow and Thatch.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just watched The Pallisers over Thanksgiving, and really enjoyed it. It is early BBC, but has all of the traditional moral values. I do not know why it took me so long to buy it. Perhaps the price, but for me to go to a movie -- by the time I drive there, eat, and see a movie -- costs about 50 dollars. So there is my justification for the splurge. Plus, I have already watched it twice. And, I plan to watch it again over Christmas Holiday. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for sharing your mini review! I will take a look at this title!

      Have a lovely week Donna :)

      Delete
  41. I have watched every one of these you mentioned. I love Larkrise to Candleford. My favorite is North and South.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are excellent and in my top 5! Great picks! :)

      Delete
  42. this is my favorite blog on the whole internet! I'm a wife and career woman with a very stressful and fast-paced job, but I come to your page every day to wind down and get ideas on running a home. I take joy in running the house for my husband when I get home at night!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michelle, this comment has warmed my heart! Thank you for sharing today and so glad to hear you also have a love for homemaking! :) May your 2016 be bright and beautiful and full of His blessings!

      Delete
  43. I love period dramas! Thanks for the great post! I Hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/02/book-review-cottage-by-sea-by-robin.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am calling my mother right now to add a few new movies from your list to our must see list! We love watching these kinds of movies. We have seen about half of the ones listed. Can't wait to start checking off the others you've suggested! Have you watched the Road to Avonlea series? I looove that series!!! We watch it as a family.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching these with my daughter too as she is growing up and it is so enjoyable to have this female kind of bonding! :) And yes, how could I forget Aunt Hetty???! :)

      Which ones haven't you seen here? Just curious?

      Delete
  45. Thank you for this excellent list. Wonderful movies. I gave up on that current popular series, too. While I loved the setting and costumes, I didn't care for the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! We started watching the first season and all of a sudden I was shocked (and very uncomfortable)! That ended that! ~~ Thank you for taking the time to comment Deborah! :)

      Delete
  46. Hi All and thank you, Jes, for taking the time to review and comment on these lovely films. (I'm late to the party, here ;-)) I wanted to share with you that I noticed someone commented on the Murdoch Mysteries series. I was very excited to see the Murdoch Mysteries. Lovely period setting....interesting historical references and intelligent. However...not altogether surprisingly I noticed each subsequent plot "pushed the boundaries" on subjects such as the "right" of a woman to a safe and legal abortion and sex before marriage. I had to end my little "affair" with Murdoch Mysteries at that point. I'm 66 years old and have no children in the home but God's definition of good and evil are still in force for me! ;-) Thanks for all the input! I love a good movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorraine, I am so glad you commented! My husband and I came to the same conclusion on that series! We were so frustrated that they had to "go there". Before I purchased them I read reviews and everyone was saying how "clean" and "devout' the detective was. However, as the episodes progressed, a lot of bending was taking place and we finally looked at one another and said NO-- This is not for us. I love period dramas but they are starting to make them more and more racier and it is hard to know what is what prior to purchasing. These kinds of conversations among like minded people really help. Thank you for sharing. I am right there with you Lorraine! :) Hopefully anyone reading these will be forewarned... Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  47. Great list. I love friendly persuasion...set during the civil war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I remember that one! I think it was with Carey Grant and Dorothy McGuire and they were Quakers? That was a sweet movie with a thought provoking plot as well!

      Delete
  48. Random Harvest: enduring love even when the other person seems distant, but the connection never ends. Can be seen as a parable (I think) for Gd's enduring faith in us even when we move away. plus greer garson is just fantastic in the office scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I have never heard of this movie but will definitely check it out! It sounds a lot like the plot of Jane Austen's Persuasion... Thank you for sharing! :)

      Delete
  49. Great list! Thank you for sharing!

    God bless,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have quite a few of these movies in my collection. My husband and I both love period dramas. We also have some of the Charles Dickens BBC movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Shelley! We also have a few of those gothic Dickens! Though they are quite the mystery, there is definitely some sweet and innocent romance stories interwoven!

      Delete
  51. May i suggest "Little Women" I have enjoyed reading and watching the movie many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have also! I really should add that the my list!!! I love Louisa May Alcott 💕

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  52. A bit late to the "party"... I liked Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, especially on a snow day.
    I am Intrigued by this blog as I NEED to get my household more "organized" - starting with DE-CLUTTERING! I have a problem letting go of "things" which I really do not need, OR, will likely never repair, mend, etc.
    Impressed with all the content - you have been at this for awhile. It is very encouraging to find Godly minded ladies to glean from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to share! I do recall seeing that movie a while back and it was a lot of fun :) I hope you find some ideas for decluttering here. It is so satisfying to get your home in order!

      Delete