Monday, September 3, 2012

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars ~ Printable Recipe


These preservative-free granola bars made with whole grains are delicious and way healthier than the store bought brands (forgive me Mr. Quaker). They are a snap to make which also adds to their appeal. Here is how we prepare them:


List of ingredients:
  • 1 cup raw honey
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 5 cups puffed whole grain rice cereal
  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup un-sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips 
  • optional: 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed or chia seed

On the lowest heat possible (to try and preserve the good enzymes in your honey) melt together until combined (while stirring to expedite the process), in a large cooking pot, the following:
  • 1 cup “raw” honey
  • 1 cup brown sugar

Once honey and brown sugar are "melted" together, remove from stove immediately.

Now, stir in the following until smooth:
  • 1 cup peanut butter 
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract


Finally, add the following ingredients to the mixture and mix until thoroughly combined:
  • 5 cups whole grain rice puff cereal (if using regular rice crispy cereal, you will need only 3 - 4 cups because they are smaller in size)
  • 4 cups rolled oats 
  • ½ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut 
  • 1 cup of mini chocolate chips (and ground flaxseed or chia seed if using)


Pour ingredients onto large, greased cookie sheet and press down firmly into pan until the mixture is spread evenly and firm.


Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before eating to allow them to firm up.


Cut into bars and wrap each one individually in plastic wrap. This should yield approx. 20 "good" granola bars.


The longest part of the recipe is probably the packaging. These should be stored in the refrigerator.


You may also freeze them for future use. They are gone in seconds in this home!

* Here is a printable recipe should you like to add it to your Recipe Book *

16 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! We love granola bars -- can't wait to try them. So glad I found you through a bunch of different link-ups! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Since I have been learning to eat healthier, I am always on the look-out for healthy snacks to eat, and these not only look good, but sound delicious as well! I've been eating whole grain blueberry snack bars, but I think I'd prefer one of these. :)

    Also, thanks for the link to the health food website. Now I know where I can get my puffed whole grain rice cereal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like them! I am glad to hear you are still on track with your health, I know that is something I am always working on (especially as I get older!). I don't want to end up on 1 million pills by the time I am 60!!!

      Delete
  3. Jes, they look good! I am looking for healthy school lunch/snacks. I am going to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I am going to try them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a batch of these and my family asked me to never buy them from the store ever again! Wonderful..the perfect granola bar! Thank you for your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! That makes my day :)

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to try these bars. I like that they make a nice big batch so they will last a while. Looks like a good recipe. I'm always tweaking and trying new granola bar recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful recipe I am eager in trying it out, the instructions are very simple -> no baking required!!. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look yummy!
    What could I add instead of peanut butter?
    Any suggestions appreciated. :) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure any nut butter would work like almond :)

      Delete
  9. have you moved the printable for this? I'd love to add this to my recipe binder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out! I'm not sure what happened. Please give me some time to fix it... And I hope you have a lovely week in the meantime :)

      Delete