Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Make Your Own "Frozen Lemonade Concentrate" ~ Citrus Series



"Anne had brought glasses and lemonade for her guests, but for her own part drank cold brook water from a cup fashioned out of birch bark… Anne thought it more appropriate to the occasion than lemonade."
~ Excerpt from Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery


We like to make batches of frozen "Minute-Maid-Like" lemonade concentrate while the citrus fruits are in season. This is something you can preserve now to bless your family with in the summer. Usually, it is the other way around! And the best part is that our recipe is simple to prepare and healthy too since lemon juice is full of vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, phosphorus and antioxidants (benefits of raw honey are shared here).

To Prepare for Freezer

Stir the following ingredients together (it is fine if it doesn't mix together perfectly due to thicker honey), place in small plastic containers, label and freeze for the future.
  • 1/2 cup - ¾ cup of raw honey (use 1/2 cup if you like tart lemonade, ¾ cup if you like sweet)
  • ¾ cup of fresh lemon juice

Serving Directions

To prepare, add 2 quarts of water (room temperature is fine) and one container of your lemonade concentrate (frozen concentrate will release easier from container if you run tap water on its underside for a few minutes) to a large pitcher. Stir contents until dissolved.

We like to place 4 cubes of ice in each 16 oz. glass for a good ratio of flavor when serving.

Freezer Labels

I paste labels on my frozen concentrates so that I can identify them and the directions are right there when I need to prepare them. Simply download and print the sheet from the link below if you are interested.




16 comments:

  1. I would love to have a lemon tree! I wonder if they would grow in New York? All of that lovely lemonade!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best ideas. Lemonade is so refreshing in the summer.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! It seems like I never have lemonade on hand when I need it. If I made my own than I could fill my freezer full. Thank you, JES :) Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received lemons in my latest produce box--thanks for the idea on how to use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Lemons are so fun! Be sure to check out our citrus series link (shared in post above) for many other ways to use them :)

      Delete
  5. Another great post! Wish I had access to all those lovely lemons, we love them around here. Can't wait to try this concentrate, I love the idea and of course love your wonderful labels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will be trying this! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jes, I wonder if this would work with oranges? We have a valencia orange tree and this would be a perfect way to preserve them for our family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh… I don't know. Haven't experimented with orange juices yet but let me know if you end up trying. I would be very interested :)

      Delete
  8. You must have oodles of lemons!! I am blessed to see your inventiveness and resourcefulness to use them all. That is a LOT of lemonade...worth the time to store up the nutritional goodness!
    Hugs and blessings in the Lord Jesus! Missing you bunches~!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're making me want some citrus trees!! One day Lord willing.

    ReplyDelete