Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Lemon Honey Marmalade ~ A Homemaker's Musings



She stares intently at the four, large bags of free lemons. Ten years ago, they would have sat on her counter until they rotted (because at that point, she wouldn't feel as guilty throwing them away). Times have changed for her. She sees those gifted lemons as an opportunity. They can be used in different ways to bless her household. She loves the challenge. If she plans strategically, she will have less to purchase throughout the year. She is a home-economist, once upon a time...



She remembers making her last batch of lemon marmalade. The amount of sugar it required got her to thinking… Could she create a tasty preserve using honey instead? It was time to do some research and convert a recipe. She can be a scientist sometimes.

"...eat thou honey, because it is good…" ~ Proverbs 24:13a



She looks out the window. Little pug turns in a circle, trying to catch her tail. The lavender flower is the only burst of color on this chilly, winter day. As she carefully slices the zest, she marvels that she has the privilege to remain home and manage her own little kingdom! She feels like a queen sometimes.



She read in a diary entry that her favorite authoress (Elizabeth Prentiss) enjoyed marmalade. This made the whole idea of preparing it much more charming to her. She has a nostalgic heart. She can be so romantic sometimes.

"We spent yesterday at Hager brook with Mrs. Humphrey and her daughters; papa drove us over in the straw wagon and came for us about 6 P.M. We had lobster salad and marmalade, bread and butter and cake, and we roasted potatoes and corn, and the H.'s had a pie and things of that sort. When they saw the salad they set up such shouts of joy that papa came to see what was the matter. We had a nice time."



She removes the seeds and places them into a square piece of cheesecloth (or spice bag). Though bitter, any excess pith should be placed here as well. She learned that they are both high in pectin and will naturally thicken her marmalade. She is part chemist sometimes.



The house is filled with a wonderful, lemon scent. She had once read that the aromatherapy in citrus stimulates the brain and enhances moods. She loves to learn! She remembers a favorite quote. She is a student much of the time. 

“I enjoy doing housework, ironing, washing, cooking, dishwashing. Whenever I get one of those questionaires and they ask what is your profession, I always put down housewife. It's an admirable profession, why apologize for it. You aren't stupid because you're a housewife. When you're stirring the jam you can read Shakespeare.”



As she tests the marmalade, she considers her depression-era ancestors. Thank God that they were still knowledgable in the homemaking skills when those hard times came. It enabled them to grow their own food and preserve it by using the arts of drying, fermenting, freezing and canning that their mothers had taught them. They were resourceful, hard working and intelligent. She desires to be like these Proverbs 31 women all of the time.



What a lovely accomplishment. She thinks it would be tasty inside a hot cup of tea. It will also be excellent in the summer to flavor a pitcher of iced tea. Some love marmalade with clotted cream and scones. She can be like a gourmet chef when given some time.

She remembers her creation of lemon labels from her last venture. They would also make nice gift tags if printed on card-stock and attached with twine. She smiles shyly, because in her own little way, she feels like an artist (some of the time).



As the day comes to an end, she is wondering who could use a bit of sunshine? She has captured some in a jar. She bundles up her marmalade in a "hat" and "scarf" because tomorrow, she will go visiting. She is a cheerful nurse oftentimes.



The wonderful part about homemaking is that she can express her creativity in a multitude of ways. It can be nurtured in something as simple as a gifted bag of lemons! She has already discovered many basic household uses for lemonshow to dry lemon peel and its many uses, how to make homemade lemon extract and a simple honey lemon cough syrup. She would also like to share her "lemon honey marmalade" recipe with you. She hopes she is an encouraging friend a lot of the time.



She is tired but feels great satisfaction. She knows the cost of running her household decreases daily because of her industry (she knows she contributes to the income in this way) and she is pleased that she has increased their pantry inventory. She loves the variety in the role that God has given especially to her. She is many interesting things because she is a "keeper at home" all of the time…

"She looketh well to the ways of her household,
and eateth not the bread of idleness."

63 comments:

  1. that sounds so good! i have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was staring eight clementines last week that had to go... so I made clementine marmalade and I added some ground cloves, cinnamon and raisins to it ...OH my...we loved it so much I had to go and buy more and make a couple of batches....I also saw the grapefruit on sale so I bought those and I made grapefruit jalapeno marmalade which is delicious too......and I made some homemade bread to go with it all and boy time well spent...I will have to try your lemon too...it looks superb!

    cathy g

    ReplyDelete
  3. JES,
    Excellent writing! I have read your clever post over at least 3 times, maybe 4! It really is a delight, and there is a catchy-ness and poetic (new word?) to it that sits well on the ear. You make us want to think of new ways to 'look well to the ways of our households'.
    Thank you for inspiring us. I praise the Lord for the mix of exhortation and creativity He has placed in you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love orange marmalade, but haven't tried lemon. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so glad I found your blog.. It is lovely.. Marmalade is a chore on my list for this week.. I would like to try this one..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across your blog at Deep Roots at Home and thoroughly enjoyed this post. Thank-you for the recipe for lemon marmalade. I will spend some time viewing your site.
    May God bless your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the idea - I too have some lemons sitting on the counter! (I'll head over and find the recipe)

    I love these sentences: "As she carefully slices the zest, she marvels that she has the privilege to remain home and manage her own little kingdom! She feels like a queen sometimes." Well put!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe :) Visiting from Wise Woman...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your post and your writing style. I also would like to try your recipe.
    Thanks for posting at Wildcrafting Wednesday.
    Jennifer
    The Entwife's Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, it is pretty fun to marmalade :)

      Delete
  10. You have a generous friend to be gifted so many lemons! I finally got that these were not from your yard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our neighbor has a small orchard :) That is the BEST part of all of this! But I did have to buy the honey which takes some $$$...

      Delete
  11. This looks yummy. Do you make sure you use organic or doesn't it matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, because you are using the actual peel, it would be better but I am really not sure how much lemon trees get sprayed. We got ours from a neighbor who doesn't spray so we were fortunate. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  12. What a lovely post and the marmalade is beautiful! I like the idea of using honey instead of sugar, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful blog! I really enjoyed this post. I am new to canning, but have had great success with jams and jellies.

    I co-host the HomeAcre Hop on Thursdays and I think my readers would really enjoy your post. I would love to invite you to join. Have a great day.

    http://blackfoxhomestead.com/the-homeacre-hop/the-homeacre-hop-and-a-few-other-little-tidbits/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try Orange Marmalade with fresh grated GINGER... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds tasty! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  15. Yum. Love lemons and using honey is great! I used to make kumquat marmalade from fruit off a friend's tree in CA. We miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a California girl once upon a time too... A women from church used to share her kumquats with us as well :) Thanks for stopping by Abi!

      Delete
  16. I've never made marmalade, but this looks so delicious I may have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love every single bit of this. Thank you, friend. Always encouraging and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah for taking the time to encourage here :)

      Delete
  18. Morning JES,
    I hope to plant a lemon tree next month and the lemon series will come on handy once my little tree graces me with fruit.

    Have a blessed day,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be wonderful Linda! :) Hope your tree is abundant dear friend! :)

      Delete
  19. This sounds SO yummy, JES. My son was just asking me if we could try making marmalade again. He wants orange, so I may have to try this recipe once we get that one finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice hearing from you Abi! Have a wonderful week and happy marmalade making ;)

      Delete
  20. JES, you certainly have a way with words! I've never read a more romantic or accurate description of homemaking. LOVE it to pieces. Thank you for sharing all you do! We.love.marmalade, too. :)
    Have a lovely day!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that others share my musings! :)

      Delete
  21. JES, this is the most beautifully and creatively thought-out and expressed tribute to the sacred privilege of homekeeping that I've ever read. Like a diamond, there are so many beautiful facets to this endeavor and you captured them so lovingly. I smiled when I read your comment that you were once a California girl since I was born, and have always lived, there. Kindred spirits, even if they have never met, appreciate these little "connections." :) Nancy D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy! I was born and raised in Calif too! I have only been gone the last 5 years... Life has taken us on a journey. We used to have nice Meyer lemon trees there though! Thank you so much for the warmest comment! So glad you took the time to share today :)

      Delete
  22. What a lovely post. You lift my spirits, even if I don't have your energy...but I do have some lemons...hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Erica, I did split my lemon marmalade making day in half before... One day I did all the slicing and prepared the fruit, etc. The next day I worked on cooking and processing the jam. With a nice cup of coffee I noticed the energy flows a bit better :) Thank you for commenting so kindly! :)

      Delete
  23. Thanks so much for stopping by!! This looks so good!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this, thank you! I enjoy reading your lovely blog when I sit to rest a few minutes, it feels like a gift.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! And your comments are a sweet gift! :)

      Delete
  25. Enchanting! And I love the new banner.

    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  26. I found this post on the From The Farm blog hop and it sounds delicious! Honey-lemon is one of my favorite flavor combinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a fabulous combination? I am right there with you :)

      Delete
  27. Jes, I think this is quite possibly my most favourite ever of your posts so far. The theme, the way it's written, the connection to the quotes....and of course The Marmalade...divine! I see that marmalade in little tart shells with meringue topping. Thanks for sharing at Five Star Frou--Frou. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds good! :) I am so glad you enjoyed this post. Thank you and have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  28. Looks delicious! Thanks for the step by step directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Sarah! Enjoy your weekend! :)

      Delete
  29. I LOVED THIS POST!
    Excellent narrative.
    I want to preserve something right now!
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    where Laura is going to pin this!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my, how very lovely! This post really touched my heart, thou keeper of the home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy it Lynn. Have a lovely week! :)

      Delete
  31. JES, I loved this post! Beautiful! I came over from Stephanie's blog hop because I liked the title (and I like making jam and marmalade). Was not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! Nice to hear from a fellow jam maker! :)

      Delete
  32. Cannot wait to do it! Looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing. Monika

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm looking forward to making this marmalade soon! I recently came upon your website and find it beautiful and encouraging. About how much marmalade will this recipe yield? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment so kindly! Unfortunately, I can not remember the yield and am sorry that I forgot to include that information :( Perhaps if you make it, you can let me know so I can include it... Perhaps it was about 7 half-pints but I really can't be sure?...

      Delete
    2. I made this recipe last week and wanted to follow up and say that it yielded approximately 94 ounces total. I added 2 Tablespoons of minced fresh ginger to the recipe. For some reason it didn't set up and is more like a glaze or sauce than marmalade. However, we found out that it makes a delicious marinade and glaze for roast duck! I think it would also be good on roast chicken, salmon, and pork. Perhaps drizzled on yogurt or vanilla ice cream... I made gelatin squares using 3/4 cup of it with 1 1/4 cups water and 3 tablespoons grass-fed gelatin. This recipe was a pleasure to make, and it smelled so good bubbling on the stove. Thank you for the inspiration! Amanda

      Delete
    3. Thank you Amanda! I am wondering if the preserves reached 220 degrees? That should give it a nice set... Anyways, it looks like you discovered some wonderful ways to use it! All your ideas sound excellent and I thank you for giving the yield! I also appreciate the kind feedback in general... Have a lovely week! :)

      Delete