Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Savory Herb Butter Dinner "Roll" Muffin Mix-in-a-Jar ~ Free Printable Recipe Kit {with GF Option}


Bread, butter, herbs and a splash of cheese. I think that says it all. It does for our family! As our daughter has needed to remove gluten from her diet, my bread making had lost its luster (I find it easier to just cook the same for everyone). And then one fine day, "these" were born (which can be made successfully with regular flour or gluten-free flour)! Our herbed butter muffins can be used in lieu of a dinner roll and would also be a wonderful breakfast/brunch addition when you want that savory taste. They are perfect with soups to round out the menu or consider setting out a basket of these hot "rolls" at your next BBQ!



And, as you all know, I love make-ahead mixes for their convenience! Therefore, I prepared these for the pantry (because they are very much worth it-- especially for an impromptu meal!). They are also quickly made while you have out all the ingredients. It is especially simple with our printable recipe kit which includes the directions, a set of jar labels and instruction labels. I like to prepare 6 jars at a time but larger families may want to make a dozen of them. 

Note to GF households: The gf flour that I use for our baking is this Better Than Cup for Cup Blend. I make 30 cups at one time (there is an Excel spreadsheet at the website and you can customize the amount you want to make) and keep it in a large pantry jar. This makes for quite a convenient and thriftier mix when you make your own. To purchase small bags is just too expensive.


To Make the Mix ~

Place inside a quart-sized jar the following ingredients:
  • 3 c. all purpose flour (or GF flour blend which includes xanthum gum)
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. herb seasoning (i.e. BraggsMrs. Dash, or my favorite -- Tinderbox Herbal Sprinkle*)
  • 1 tsp. dried chives
  • 1/3 c. sugar
* Note: Tinderbox Herbal Sprinkle is an Australian product that a friend of mine gave me and I am addicted! I have no idea if these are sold in the United States but do give it a try should you find it! Freshly chopped herbs from the garden would also work wonderfully, up the amount to 1 tbsp., if you do so!



Once the first five ingredients are measured into the jar, carefully stir contents inside with a butter knife to distribute the baking powder, salt and spices (this will also allow more room for the sugar as it will compact the mixture down). Place lid firmly back on jar and give it a good shake for a final blend. The mix is now complete. Simply label and attach the directions to the muffin mix (found on our printable below).


To Prepare the Herb Dinner "Roll" Muffins  ~

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (you may want to try 375 if using GF flour blend).

Mix together in a medium mixing bowl:
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • Add prepared muffin mix and stir until just combined (batter will be thick).
  • Add 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese or your favorite cheese blend and stir until just combined. Do not over stir as it will result in tougher muffins.



  • Divide batter evenly into 12 lined/greased muffin cups and bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown (and/or toothpick inserted inside comes out clean).
The gluten-free flour blend I use gives them a nice rustic appearance. The regular flour will resemble more of a smooth muffin.



Like I have mentioned before, the nice thing about making your own mixes is that you can control the quality of ingredients. Instead of iodized table salt, we can use sea salt or the Himalayan pink salt. Instead of baking powder laden with cancer causing aluminum, we can choose the "clean" version. The best part is that our mixes don't include artificial anything!


This is a wonderful way to stock your pantry! In fact, you may also be interested in our Cornbread Mix-in-a-Jar and our favorite Oatmeal Muffins Mix-in-a-Jar recipe kits. 


When making up pantry mixes, here are a few ways to avoid mess and waste:
  • Being that the ingredients you are using are dry, simply wipe off spoons and measuring cups immediately and put them away. No need to add them to that pile of dirty dishes! This makes clean up a breeze!
  • When printing out our recipe kits, in order to save on ink, just wipe out the jar when it is empty and place it right back in the original spot on the pantry shelf. When you use up your last mix, refill all your jars with the ingredients. This way you save on ink and pasting each time.
  • When making up the mixes, I timed myself on each jar (without rushing, I promise) and it came out to only 3-minutes per jar! That is quicker than driving to the store, waiting in line and purchasing a boxed mix (plus you are getting a superior product). Don't underestimate the savings and convenience of the make-your-own-mixes.


HERE is our printable recipe kit that you may want to add to your recipe book. Happy pantry building, ladies! P.S. Please do let me know if any of you download this kit, I am curious how many enjoy these types of pantry projects! 

"Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy...
for God now accepteth thy works."
~ Ecclesiastes 9:7
This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making MondaysModest Mom Monday'sMonday's MusingsMake Your Home Sing MondayGood Morning Mondays,  The ScoopTitus 2sdaysTitus 2 TuesdaysRoses of InspirationTuesdays with a TwistRaising HomemakersWise Woman Link UpHomestead Blog Hop Wow Us Wednesdays,  Coffee and ConversationHomemaking ThursdaysHome Sweet HomeOur Simple HomesteadFrom the Farm Blog HopFront Porch Friday Blog HopAwesome Life Friday Link UpFive Star Frou Frou FridaySimply Natural Saturdays and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these.

29 comments:

  1. JES, I can't wait to try this recipe. I received this post on the email, and I sent a response to you concerning a link-up matter. I was not sure if you receive responses or not. Thanks! Janis (Homeschool Mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janis, I don't think the email post responses come back to me. Please feel free to email me at pleasewritetojes@hotmail.com. Forgive me if sometimes I am a bit slow to responding. Blogging is a part time "job" ;) Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They really are! I am ashamed to say how many times I have made them in the last month! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this. I'll have to try. Especially the cornbread. I like things I can cook on the weekend and make freezer meals for the week. This is perfect for the bread part. Especially the cornbread. I want to it!
    Thanks for sharing. I'm coming back over to visit the other links. Hope you had a great party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting here today Sherry! The cornbread is a favorite and something I always keep on hand in the pantry. It does wonders with that batch of beans! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the convenience of jar mixes, and this does sound like a keeper. I'm afraid I'll need to exercise a bit longer each day though. Love your measuring spoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni, it is a keeper, sorry to say :) Very convenient when you need bread or something to make a skimpy meal more substantial. I try not to abuse making them but the temptation is quite strong as they are easy. Glad you like the spoons. They are a treasured gift from my mother (Cost Plus I believe). Hope your week is going well!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to try out these biscuits. Your site has so many interesting and helpful recipes. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment Michelle. I do appreciate it and hope you give these a try. Hoping your week is off to a good start! :)

      Delete
  6. We had these for breakfast! Yum! I know. I know. They're dinner rolls but nobody cared. He he. I love pantry mixes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No judging-- we had pancakes for lunch yesterday :) Thank you for the feedback and glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  7. You got me all excited to try your biscuits, and flying to Australia for the seasoning will be the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I am always looking for a convenient tasty bread for our meals. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try! It is very easy to make and works perfect for a last minute "bread"! :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Jess. Good for my pantry shelves and good for gifts! My daughter is starting a pantry. A really big pantry! I am so excited about this I think I could make her some pre mixes to help her fill the shelves with useful supplies. Have a good weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice array of pre-made mixes would make a wonderful gift. I love giving these kinds of useful things out! And good for your daughter on preparing a pantry, it's a wonderful investment of time and energy!

      Delete
  10. Definitely going to try these.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  11. Dear JES,

    This sounds most delicious. Yes, I DID download the printables for this post. It is kind and helpful of you to offer this. God bless!

    Pax,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M., So glad to hear from you and that the new "printing" system works for you! I hope all is going well in your world! :)

      Delete
  12. I think these sound just right for breakfast tomorrow! I have some large field mushrooms I am going to bake with cream, I was going to serve on toast, but these might be perfect instead of the toast. Thanks, Jes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a delicious sounding breakfast! Mushrooms and cream! I think this would definitely work with that menu! Nice to hear from you again Gill! Have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  13. Well hello there!
    I make biscuits and muffins all the time, but I never thought to make several batches to store. What a great way to mix many to have when you have a hankering for some. I will indeed be making these!
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recipe Jes, thanks for sharing and stopping by!
    Hugs, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Jes, Visiting from Tuesday with a Twist. These dinner rolls look delicious! I can't wait to try them. Pinning this once twice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing! I will feature this tomorrow at Home Sweet Home! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete