Thursday, September 3, 2015

{No Sew} Lavender Drawer Sachets DIY ~ Free Printable

"The snowy quilt and pillows, the carefully kept floor and chairs, the clothing washed and laid with sprigs of lavender in the tidy drawers—oh, what poetry and eloquence of untiring, undespairing mother-love..."
~ Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr, A Singer from the Sea

Though simple, there is something so sweet about a drawer sachet! It takes one back in time to a world where the little things in life did matter, mattered enough to spend your time on. The lovely part about these paper sachets is that you can have the final product in only a few, fun, homemaking moments.


There are a three ways you can make these. You could use only essential oils, you could use some dried lavender, or you could do both! I chose the latter for the strongest scent combination.
  • If using the cotton, add a few drops of essential oil and insert inside the paper sachets (our "inspirational" printable is shared below).  I also added a few drops of oil onto my sachet paper and infused it in a plastic bag for a few days. The oil does absorb and doesn't stain the paper provided you use a quality brand.
  • If using lavender flowers, add a tablespoon or so of dried lavender to your paper packet. Depending on your flowers, the aroma may not be that strong. If this is the case, add in some essential oil drops.
Note: For longer lasting results, brush over areas containing essential oil with orris root powder (it acts as a fixative). Then, shake off residual powder and it is ready to use! Or mix some powder in with the lavender buds and pour inside your sachet.


Use a glue stick to assemble your paper sachet.  Once dried, simply add in your chosen lavender elements (i.e., the lavender oil/cotton combo or the lavender flowers).

To freshen up the aroma of your sachets after time has faded their scent, simply give them a squeeze and add a few more drops of oil directly to the packet and place back inside your drawers.


These make lovely (and inexpensive) gifts when bundled in pairs or fours and tied together with ribbons or pretty twine.


I have also enjoyed tucking a few into old fashioned letters as they are the perfect size to slide into an envelope. Wouldn't that cheer a loved one?


You may also want to create a handmade lavender gift basket by preparing some of the lavender items found here. What other ideas do you have for these sachets?



The images of lavender is courtesy of The Graphics Fairy. To access our printable sachet packets, simply click this link HERE. Then, download and print the PDF file for FREE. I also invite you to subscribe to this blog (located on the sidebar) to get updates and access to future homemaking printables. Have a lovely week!

38 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, and let me say, your drawer sachets are so very lovely, they surely add a vintage touch to an old forniture .. I adore them !

    Have a blessed day, my dear one !
    Sending love and hugs
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them! And yes, they would make a lovely match with antique furniture :) Thank you for taking time to share Dany!

      Delete
  2. Oh, those are so pretty, and I've got a jar full of lavender blossoms to fill them with.
    Thank you for sharing them. Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh perfect! I could just smell your lavender blossoms from here :) Thank you for taking the time to share here today!

      Delete
  3. I have been trying to come up with some stocking stuffers for Christmas this year. I think this is perfect for my adult girls! Thanks Jes for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Great idea for us grown up girls :)

      Delete
  4. What a great idea with the option of using lavender essential oil- I have just planted lavender seeds this year, but of course won't get any flowers from them for quite some time, so this is an alternative that I hadn't thought of. Thank you for sharing the lovely printable :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The essential oil is instant gratuity! Thank you for taking the time to visit :)

      Delete
  5. I love this -what a great ideas for gifts and for me! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have some in my wardrobe too! :)

      Delete
  6. JES thankyou for this gorgeous printable and gift idea. Your presentation is exquisite. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to visit and sprinkle kindness Mimi! :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you Jes! I am at my parents farm just now and Mum has a lavender brush covered with flowers! And a printer! This is a lovey project and gift. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks easy too. I lost a lavender plant this year from too much rain. I will have to replant in the spring, and add more to the herb garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad! So far I have been fortunate with our plants and do keep propagating to make sure we have a constant supply... Lavender is the only plant that actually likes me :)

      Delete
  9. I love this idea for stocking stuffers. Lavender doesn't grow well in my zone. I do have a little plant that I protect for the harsh winter here. I will try it with my roses. Your print out is so nice. Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this idea! I would really enjoy getting a gift like this. I think I need to grow some lavender here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty! I'll bet they smell awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely idea to make! Thank you for sharing the instructions and the printables... a wonderful little "extra" to use for a gift or card to a friend! You always share the greatest ideas ... hope you have had a wonderful summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Jess
    Everything you make and post about is inspiring to me.
    I love everything lavender and I'll make this project to old some of my lavender.
    It will make a perfect gift to slip in with a letter to a friend!
    Thank you Jess.
    ((hugs))
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful project and gift!! i have bookmarked your site so i can return!!! lavender is definitely one of my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so pretty! I love little things like this and they do make lovely gifts! Visiting from Roses of Inspiration!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet friend, these are simply the sweetest little sachets! You always share such loveliness on your blog, dear JES. Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are just the prettiest little sachets! Always so nice to stop in here and see such lovely things. And you always have the sweetest ideas too! Hope you have enjoyed your summer too Jes. I am ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're beautiful! Thank you for sharing! Coming over from Roses of Inspiration. Wishing you a beautiful day, Wen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning, JES! This afternoon at Roses of Inspiration I am featuring the top five posts from last week and this one is among them :) Thanks for sharing and have a lovely week! Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I love the smell of lavender.

    Stopping by from the Homestead Blog Hop. Your post has been chosen as one of this week's features. Please feel free to stop by and grab a Featured button to add to your post. http://www.notsomodern.com/homestead-blog-hop-47.html/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the printable, Jes. I just saw it on Annabel's blog and will print it out when I am on the PC. It looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for the beautiful little sachets. And I must say what a beautiful blog you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loving the sachets! Would it be possible to email me the pdf? Kindest regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna, I have updated the printable to my new system and it should now print off very easily with the link above! :)

      Delete
  24. Hello - I would love to print some of the little sachets but I am unable to access the PDF, am I doing something wrong??? thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, I have updated the printable to my new system and it should now print off very easily with the link above! :) Please let me know if you still have problems with the file. Love, JES

      Delete
    2. Hello - Thank you so much, the link worked perfectly.

      Delete
  25. Thank you so much - worked a treat!

    ReplyDelete