Do you want to share interesting places and cultures with your children? If so, travel with your family using beautiful and fun picture books that take them to far away lands! Who said geography was boring? Just make sure to interact with them as you read. Here are some ideas:
- You can ask them if they can find the places you read about on the map or globe (I like to keep one nearby for easy access when we read).
- Do they know anyone famous from that region?
- Do they know what the weather is like in that region?
- Do they know any famous places in that area?
- If they could go anywhere in the world, where would they go? Read about that area!
These kinds of questions will bring the books to life and you will be surprised at how comfortable they will become with a globe or map in their hand.
Here are some of our favorite picture books relating to geography:
Geography in General ~ Picture Books
- Geography from A to Z: A Picture Glossary by Jack Knowlton
- Maps and Globes by Jack Knowlton
- Me on the Map by Joan Sweeney
- There's a Map on My Lap! All About Maps from the Cat in the Hat Learning Library
World Geography ~ Picture Books
- Passport to the World: Your A to Z Guided Language Tour by Craig Froman (Christian Resource)
- Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
- How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman
- Nellie Bly's Monkey by Joan W. Blos (Circle the world with Nelly Bly!)
- Keep On!: The Story of Matthew Henson, Co-Discoverer of the North Pole by Deborah Hopkinson
- My Season With Penguins: An Antarctic Journal (South Pole) by Sophie Webb
- The Train of States by Peter Sis
- Don't Know Much About the 50 States by Kenneth C. Davis
- How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A by Marjorie Priceman
I hope you enjoy your journey!
This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making Mondays, Modest Mom Monday's, Monday's Musings, Make Your Home Sing Monday, Good Morning Mondays, The Scoop, Titus 2sdays, Titus 2 Tuesdays, Tuesdays with a Twist, Raising Homemakers, Wise Woman Link Up, Homestead Blog Hop, Wow Us Wednesdays, Coffee and Conversation, Homemaking Thursdays, Home Sweet Home, Our Simple Homestead, From the Farm Blog Hop, Front Porch Friday Blog Hop, Awesome Life Friday Link Up, Five Star Frou Frou Friday, Simply Natural Saturdays and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these.