Thursday, September 29, 2011

DIY Frugal Blended & Iced Coffee Drinks {Plus a Blended Mocha Recipe}


"A fig for partridges and quails,
ye dainties I know nothing of ye;
But on the highest mount in Wales
Would choose in peace to drink my coffee."
~Jonathon Swift (1667-1745)

Did you know that today, Thursday, September 29, 2011 is National Coffee Day? (Don't worry, I didn't either until a few days ago…) However, I thought I would share some frugal coffee concepts with you now in which you can enjoy any day! 


First of all, I could never part with my unused coffee (it's too expensive!)…

so any leftover is poured into ice-cube trays and placed in the freezer.


Once frozen, I release the coffee cubes from the mold and place in a large covered plastic container in the freezer. I do this every time there is extra and keep adding to the collection.



And now… you can make your own blended coffee beverages without paying all the fancy money and without leaving your home. Simply blend up a cup of coffee cubes (about 6 - 8 large cubes) with a cup of milk, cream or any other liquid of choice and add in your favorite sweetener (like raw honey, maple syrup, raw sugar, etc.) and desired flavorings (like vanilla extract, mint extract, etc.). You can also make your own iced coffee's without diluting your drink by using these cubes with any leftover coffee you collected from the week. Be creative and make your own masterpiece!

Buy at Art.com
                      
Blended mochas are my favorite! Here is my "healthy, guilt-free version" (printable of this recipe is here for your recipe book):

Blended Mocha
  • 1 cup of frozen coffee cubes
  • 1 cup of milk (we use raw)
  • 1 TBSP of sweetener (I use raw honey)
  • 1 heaping TBSP of unsweetened cocoa powder
Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth and enjoy!

Yields: One Large or "Venti" Blended Mocha

Variation: If you are feeling extra rambunctious, you can add a few tablespoons of chocolate chips to the blender with above ingredients in order to make it a "Blended Mocha Chip"… or a drop of peppermint essential oil for a blended peppermint mocha (just make sure your essential oil can be ingested like the doTERRA brand). 


My favorite chapter to read while drinking coffee? "He-brews of course (wink…)"

13 comments:

  1. This is a great idea - thanks for passing it along! I've never been a fan of iced coffee, but the blended frappe-style drinks are awesome and this looks like an excellent way to enjoy them without paying $4 a pop. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I frequently cringe as I dump out old, unused coffee. It's like pouring $$ down the drain. And I LOVE frozen coffee drinks....never thought of this idea. I will definitely be doing this now. I can't wait to try this....thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! Yes, I hate wasting the left over coffee as well, this would be a fun way to use it, I 'll have to give this a try :) ~April

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm shopping for a blender, preferably with a glass container. Do you or your readers have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After visiting with my mother and using her Nutri-bullet, I have to say that is my choice for my next purchase but it does have a plastic container :( Besides that, it was excellent and EASY to clean!! Hope this helps ~ JES

      Delete
  6. Having read this I believed it was very informative. I appreciate you
    spending some time and energy to put this article together.
    I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!

    Here is my weblog - coffee Pure Cleanse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really good; I want to make these later! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is not only economical but sounds so delicious. Can't wait to try this. Such a great idea. I hate wasting the coffee too. Thank you sharing and have a Fabulous Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm... This sounds very tasty on a hot Summer day :) Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration, sweet friend. Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jes, this sounds wonderful! I just love ice coffee but hate paying the price! Thanks for sharing this.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cute, JES -- "He-brews" ;))

    ReplyDelete