"Autumn time is melancholy;
Then the Winter storms are nigh;
'Mid the garden's fading relics
Mournful gusts are heard to sigh.
Autumn's a luxuriant season;
Then the Harvest glads our sight,
Fruits grow ripe; and, glittering pheasants,
You must fall for our delight."
by Emily Dickinson
The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry’s cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I’ll put a trinket on.
- Read some autumn inspired poems to your family while drinking hot cider.
- Read some autumn inspired picture books:
Down Buttermilk Lane by Barbara Mitchell
Why Do Leaves Change Color? by Betsy Maestro
How Do Apples Grow? by Betsy Maestro
The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons
The Story of Johnny Appleseed by Aliki
- Go apple picking.
- Visit a pumpkin patch.
- Make apple and/or pumpkin pies with your children.
- Find some pretty leaves and do leaf rubbings (If you have a tree field guide, try and label what kind of leaf it is).
- Do some bark rubbings (If you have a tree field guide, label the type of tree you rubbed and cut out your specimans and paste onto a poster board to hang in your home for fall fun).
- Do some iron on leaf crafts (When you have them completed, punch holes through the top of each leaf; run yarn or ribbon through the holes and make a leaf garland for your fireplace mantle or any other place in the house to give some autumn flavor to your home. The children will be thrilled to see their work displayed).
- Decorate your hearth or windows with a pinecone banner. Using this clip art from the Graphics Fairy, have each child color a few "cones" and attach to string and hang as a garland. You may want to decorate with some brown glitter.
- Light your fireplace (if you have one) and snuggle together with all of the above…
Or go outside and play in the leaves!
|Autumn by Norman Garstin|
Do some yard work while the weather is so crisp and clean…
Start a compost pile with all those leaves…
This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making Mondays, Modest Mom Monday's, Monday's Musings, Make Your Home Sing Monday, Good Morning Mondays, The Scoop, Titus 2sdays, Titus 2 Tuesdays, Tuesdays with a Twist, Raising Homemakers, Wise Woman Link Up, Homestead Blog Hop, Wow Us Wednesdays, Coffee and Conversation, Homemaking Thursdays, Home Sweet Home, Our Simple Homestead, From the Farm Blog Hop, Front Porch Friday Blog Hop, Awesome Life Friday Link Up, Five Star Frou Frou Friday, Simply Natural Saturdays and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these.