Monday, February 3, 2014

"Help Me Be Good" Book Set ~ Child Rearing Gems


How I love this set of books! I remember telling my little daughter things like, "don't be rude" in order to correct her character in those younger years. The frustrating part was that she didn't understand what "being rude" meant and I was at a loss.


It is a struggle in the beginning to use vocabulary words to discipline your children when they don't comprehend the meaning. This is where the "Help Me Be Good" books are gems for dear, distraught mother. It is one of my favorite sets that I share with close friends and family and so I thought to share them with you.



Each book focuses on a character concept to read to your child. They are simple to understand, with plenty of pictures to amuse them which further illustrate the point. The best part is that your youngsters will now recognize what "being greedy" means. They will identify with what "being wasteful" is, "being destructive" and so on.



You can confidently correct them in their conduct knowing that they have full understanding. The communication gap has been bridged!



This series were out of print for some time but I recently came across them in paperback boxed sets which includes songs to accompany them. Though I can't vouch for the music CD's, I will definitely recommend the books. They have been such a blessing in our household!

Titles include:
  • Being Lazy
  • Being Forgetful
  • Being Careless
  • Being Messy
  • Being Wasteful
  • Overdoing It
  • Showing Off
  • Being a Bad Sport
  • Being Selfish
  • Being Greedy
  • Breaking Promises
  • Disobeying
  • Lying
  • Interrupting
  • Whining
  • Throwing Tantrums
  • Complaining
  • Teasing
  • Tattling
  • Gossiping
  • Being Rude
  • Snooping
  • Cheating
  • Stealing
  • Being Bullied
  • Being Bossy
  • Being Destructive
  • Fighting


Note: Though these books are not "Christian" in nature, their goal is promoting character building traits that honor God. You could always summarize each book with an appropriate Bible verse to tie everything together. You may also be interested in our Biblically Principled Picture Book List.

"The entrance of Your words gives light;
It gives understanding to the simple."
~ Psalm 119:130



6 comments:

  1. I have actually seen these books at our local library but haven't taken the time to look at them! I will be doing that now! Thanks for the suggestions :) Found your link at Modest Mom Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Jenn, I hope you are able to check them out. I am sure they will be a hit. Those books were always requested to be read in our home ;)

      Delete
  2. We had some of these when I was growing up. I remember them clearly! Very effective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Journey11, thanks for sharing that! I am glad for this confirmation!

      Delete
  3. I've never seen these books before, but I'm sure of one thing - every family should have the complete set! What a great gift they would be for a family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must agree with you! They would make an excellent baby shower gift!

      Delete