Thursday, January 2, 2014

Monthly Shopping Lists ~ Free Printable

"The manner in which a housekeeper buys her groceries must depend upon where she lives and how large her family is. In a country place, where the stores are few and not well supplied, it is best to buy in large quantities all articles that will not deteriorate by keeping. If one has a large family a great saving is made by purchasing the greater portion of one's groceries at wholesale."

With increase costs of food and gas, I have been working on building up a plentiful pantry. Buying in bulk allows for lower prices and less grocery store runs. The second goal I have set is to do a once-a-month shopping day. My inspiration came from this book. With a year round garden, surplus of canned, dried and freezer goods, this goal is becoming more of a reality which really excites me!


With that being said, we are sharing our monthly shopping lists. If you are interested in doing something like this but don't know where to begin, you may want to print out our essential list for a stocked pantry and prepare from there. What is also fun about this printable is that you can color it in if you like! These drawings by Kate Greenaway are so peaceful.


We are placing our printable lists inside our home management binder. I three-hole punched the sheets and inserted the current month under the "daily section" so that I can conveniently add to it as needed. The rest will be stored in the "monthly work" section until I am ready for them. What will you do with yours? You will find the free printable HERE if you like.

10 comments:

  1. JES, thank you for the monthly lists. There was a time when I easily kept such lists in my head, but many years and much processed food later I need lists, and these are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to stock up on groceries and paper towels, toilet paper and such. I have slacked on doing that and need to get back in the habit. I love the lists you provided.

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I have been tracking our supplies and eating habits trying to prepare for OAMS, these are perfect to help me get more organized! (P.S. I had trouble voting for you last night. I was only able to do it on one of the sites.)
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent and thank you for your support :)

      Delete
  4. These lists are excellent, thank you! DH and I sorted out our deepchest freezer today, so I am well in order there. We used the big blue IKEA bags to keep like items together. I don't plan on buying any meat for a good long time now; infact we may last until hunting season in the Autumn!

    Have you or any of your readers ever found a workable way to keep check on freezer contents? From now on I plan to get it empty more often as I found quite a few elderly mysteries at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an area I need to work on as well! I dumped my homemade ricotta cheese because I was clueless about it. A few weeks later, I went looking for it and realized what I had done :( I was not happy about that… In the meantime, I try to label everything… Take care, JES :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my!! You have a wonderful blog and I could spend hours here but I don't have time right now, sigh!! I'll have to come back :-) I followed you over from the Growing Home where I linked up way down the page. Your post caught my eye!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith :) Hope these can be useful in your home!

      Delete
  6. hahaha I also make monthly shopping list...

    Amerimark online coupon

    ReplyDelete