Friday, March 11, 2016

Mrs. Tiggy-winkle's Tutorials ~ Beatrix Potter Series

"Lucie opened the door: and what do you think there was inside the hill?—a nice clean kitchen with a flagged floor and wooden beams—just like any other farm kitchen. Only the ceiling was so low that Lucie's head nearly touched it; and the pots and pans were small, and so was everything there."

Spring is on the way and so another season of our "Fun Friday" posts will commence. As some of you know, I still have childhood loves. The world of Beatrix Potter is one of them and I must confess that Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is my favorite character. She is a wonderful homemaker! How could I not admire her nice clean cottage kitchen with the flagged floors and wooden beams? Her washing skills are amazing, her ironing superb and she is an excellent hostess. Tea anyone?

We have shared some projects inspired by this sweet little creature (things that are useful but with a bit of whimsy stirred in for fun) last spring. As I had written in my introduction of Beatrix Potter Posts, perhaps I do this series each season "because there is so much disturbing things going on today and it can be therapeutic to ponder and dwell on the "good things" (Philippians 4:8).

"There was a nice hot singey smell; and at the table, with an iron in her hand stood a very stout short person staring anxiously at Lucie."
The projects we share can also be done together with the children to encourage reading! Bring out the Beatrix Potter books and then prepare some of these useful items for a fun household-crafting day. These would also make nice gifts tucked away in baskets for spring!

"Her print gown was tucked up, and she was wearing a large apron over her striped petticoat. Her little black nose went sniffle, sniffle, snuffle, and her eyes went twinkle, twinkle; and underneath her cap—where Lucie had yellow curls—that little person had PRICKLES!"
"Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle was nothing but a HEDGEHOG."
~ The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-winkle by Beatrix Potter

Now some skeptics may say that our dear washer-woman doesn't exist! However, to quote the words of Ms. Potter, "I have seen that door into the back of the hill called Cat Bells— I am very well acquainted with dear Mrs. Tiggy-winkle!" Are you? If you are still harboring doubts, I invite you to visit her tutorials below for further proof! :)






We hope you enjoyed this series on our dear friend, Mrs. Tiggy-winkle! We look forward to sharing more good-old-fashioned homemaking from her neighbor (Mrs. Tittlemouse) this spring, if you please'm!

This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making MondaysModest Mom Monday'sMonday's MusingsMake Your Home Sing MondayGood Morning Mondays,  The ScoopTitus 2sdaysTitus 2 TuesdaysRoses of InspirationTuesdays with a TwistRaising HomemakersWise Woman Link UpHomestead Blog Hop Wow Us Wednesdays,  Coffee and ConversationHomemaking ThursdaysHome Sweet HomeOur Simple HomesteadFrom the Farm Blog HopFront Porch Friday Blog HopAwesome Life Friday Link UpFive Star Frou Frou FridaySimply Natural Saturdays and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these.

                                                       


24 comments:

  1. I love Mrs. Tiggy-winkle! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post and uplifting post. And yes..it's refreshing to focus on some of the good things! We are blessed that there are many. Thank you.

    Blessings to you <3
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely, Jes. Beatrix Potter had quite an imagination. I will have to check out those links. Thanks heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog always takes me to a place of beauty and refreshment, and whimsy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jes, this is so sweet and lovely. And your tutorials are just the best! Thanks so much for taking the time to add this bit of goodness to a harsh world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this has to be the sweetest blog series! I adore Beatrix Potter, and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle especially!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear JES, I am not sure how I missed this series, but I am glad I found it! I have a wedding to attend soon and I was thinking of creating a laundry hamper filled with homemade products to give as a gift, so this gives me more ideas. Not to mention I want to make these things for my own home, too! Thank you for the recipes and such a charming read :) Love, Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jes I m a avid reader from your blog ( but don't left comments often) I love the homemaker herbal tea very very delicious and flavourful hugs from France

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly love, my dearest JES, everything, just everything you post truly comes from your heart, and I'm so grateful to you for this ... how lovely to do our homeworks together with Mrs. Tiggy-winkle !

    Sending blessings of joy on your weekend, my sweetest one,
    with much, so much thankfulness
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my JES, I sure enjoyed this as I love and adore Beatrix Potter. thanks for sharing this sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the Beatrix Potter series of stories too. I remember well when my husband and I picked up the "The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends" cartoon series ages ago when my daughter was a baby. I spent so much time watching those cartoons with the kids over the years. By far my favorite ones were the tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle and Timmy Willy in his little country garden. I need to make more napkins with those two characters embroidered onto them :). We've since gotten several collections of stories (just in case) of Beatrix Potter to read to the kids. My daughter has gotten to the point that she reads the stories on her own as well.

    Thanks for the fun tutorials and the quotes. It always uplifts my spirits to see Mrs. Tiggy Winkle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is just fabulous!!! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is my favorite as well! Looking forward to the pretty as a pinny clothespins and what Mrs. Tittlemouse has to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this post did indeed bring me back to my childhood days. We had a beautiful set of Beatrix Potter books, and I enjoyed reading them so much. Thank you for sharing such endearing home recipes and tips. Always an encouragement here with the special quotes too! I just loved seeing the images and reading the quotes from such a dearly loved series. Have a blessed day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on both counts, Jes. I adore Beatrix Potter and Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is my favorite. For a hedgehog, she sure can rock an apron!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids and I love reading Beatrix Potter! i can't wait to try Mrs. Tiggy Winkle's stain remover, how fun! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jes! You are so creative and I adore anything by Beatrix Potter! What a great way to welcome in Spring! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm another Beatrix Potter fan. Mrs. Tiggywinkle is one of my favorite figurines in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah what a fun post...

    I am very privileged and have actually visited Beatrix's farm in 2012... a truly memorable day in every way!!

    .. it was a train journey then bus, then boat then bus and foot .. quiet a journey but fun indeed ..

    It really brought it all to life.. I sat on the steps, there on there wee cottage, just half way down near the carved blanket box, and at in window seat, had a pork pie sitting out the front on her garden seat .. and gorgeous autumnal weather..
    So very blessed of God indeed...
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful time you must have had! Thank you for sharing!!! :)

      Delete
  19. I must go back and read all your Mrs Tiggy-winkle posts, Jes! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jes, I have featured your Mrs Tiggywinkle post at Five Star Frou-Frou this week. Thankyou for linking up. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jes, I love this post.......so adorable, I am a Beatrix Potter fan as well,not that I have read all of her books or anything, I just think her work is so amazingly adorable. Did you ever see the movie Miss Potter? We rented it once never realizing it was
    about her at all, and I loved it, altho it did sort of have a sad ending.
    If you haven't seen it think you would enjoy it.
    Thanks for the fun post, will have to come back and read some more.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Nellie! I did see the movie and absolutely loved the way they showed her paintbrush come to life with the characters. So whimsical... but yes... sad too...

      Delete