Friday, March 27, 2015

Make Your Own Spray Starch {DIY} ~ A Tiggy-winkle Tutorial


'"Oh, yes, if you please'm; my name is Mrs. Tiggy-winkle; oh, yes if you please'm, I'm an excellent clear-starcher!" And she took something out of a clothes-basket, and spread it on the ironing-blanket."
~ The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-winkle by Beatrix Potter

I would like to share a recipe with you from a dear friend. She has a bit of a nervous nature, otherwise she would have given it to you herself. You see, she was quite concerned that perhaps some of us were paying a pretty penny for something we could prepare ourselves! "Oh, yes, if you please'm; just take a peek in the pantry," she says. And so, without further adieu, I give you Mrs. Tiggy-winkle's "signature" spray starch recipe.
"There was a nice hot singey smell; and at the table,
with an iron in her hand stood a very stout short person staring anxiously at Lucie."
~ The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-winkle by Beatrix Potter

All you need is one tablespoon of cornstarch and two cups of water! Whisk the ingredients together in a sauce-pan. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and simmer for two minutes.

Note: For a heavier spray starch, use a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch.


Once the mixture has cooled, you can add two drops of lavender or lemon essential oil (this is completely optional). Pour into a clean spray bottle and it is ready to use!
"And what are you dipping into the basin of starch?"

"They're little dicky shirt-fronts belonging to Tom Titmouse—most terrible particular!" said Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "Now I've finished my ironing; I'm going to air some clothes."
~ The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-winkle by Beatrix Potter

We are sharing a printable of this tutorial HERE. You may like to add it to your "herbal" (a book of household wisdom). You can find the printable to make your own "herbal", right here. I filed this recipe under "The Laundry Room" section.


I hope you have enjoyed Mrs. Tiggy-winkle's tutorial. Have you met her? She is such a dear!  Thank you for joining us for "Fun Friday" this spring!



This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making MondaysModest Mom Monday'sMonday's MusingsMake Your Home Sing MondayGood Morning Mondays,  The ScoopTitus 2sdaysTitus 2 TuesdaysRoses of InspirationTuesdays with a TwistRaising HomemakersWise Woman Link UpHomestead Blog Hop Wow Us Wednesdays,  Coffee and ConversationHomemaking ThursdaysHome Sweet HomeOur Simple HomesteadFrom the Farm Blog HopFront Porch Friday Blog HopAwesome Life Friday Link UpFive Star Frou Frou FridaySimply Natural Saturdays and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these. Illustrations are by Beatrix Potter.

                                                       

19 comments:

  1. Oh, how I LOVE Beatrix Potter! Thanks for the recipe! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. So easy! I love the idea of adding a drop or two of essential oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute way to do this post Jess! I have considered making my own detergent, starches, etc, but...My youngest has eczema, and it took a while to find a detergent that doesn't irritate her skin, so we don't stray...
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so tickled by this post! I have always loved Beatrice Potter - and Mrs. Tiggywinkle! And now I know how to make starch!! Sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear of another Mrs. Tiggy-winkle fan. She is probably my favorite of Beatrice Potter characters! :)

      Delete
  5. I love this idea! Have you ever tried arrowroot starch or even tapioca? Just curious if I could use what I have in the pantry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried them but it IS worth a try since they are both starches. And all you have to lose is one tablespoon... It may just work! And please let me know if it does! Happy homemaking :)

      Delete
  6. I bought some cornstarch today. Can you recommend a spray bottle that has a fine spray?
    How do you use your starch? I've only used canned spray starch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made my own starch before, but I plan to do that just as soon as I use up what I have. Please let Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle know I'm grateful she decided to share her recipe - she's such a kind and kindred spirit.
    Hope you're having a great weekend, JES!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I've never made spray starch but I do need a little for a project and didn't want to buy a whole can! So glad you wrote this up - and in such a fun way too, JES.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I've printed this out and tucked it into my copy of Home Comforts. I've been wary of the chemical-laden commercial spray starch, but hadn't had time to look for a recipe yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. I am working on replacing the products I use with more eco friendly and safer products. This is just perfect. Thank you for sharing and Have a Fabulous Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful idea. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post which is both charming and informative!!
    Thanks so much for your visits!!

    Wishing you and your a Happy Easter!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is all you need? Just cornstarch and water? Wow, I have been living under a rock! I am definitely making my own starch from now on :) I always love visiting you, my friend. Thank you, my dear, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. May you have a beautiful Easter! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. JES...I haven't read Beatrix Potter in a while. My children are grown these days. However, I was completely pulled in to her world for a bit. Thank you for the recipe and I'm so glad you shared it at Monday's Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. have made this starch too a a relative perhaps of Mrs Tiggy Winkle gave me the recipe ..
    Thanks so much for the refresher :D
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, JES, for the recipe. It was fun making my own spray starch and using it on my 2nd hand linens ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! That is always appreciated over here! I also like to use the DIY lavender water for ironing also... Both feel old fashioned and peaceful :)

      Delete