Friday, October 18, 2013

"Get Well Soon" Spray ~ Disinfectant and Room Deodorizer


"I am at the moment deaf in the ears, hoarse in the throat, red in the nose,
green in the gills, damp in the eyes, twitchy in the joints and
fractious in temper from a most intolerable and oppressive cold."
~Charles Dickens

Those dreadful germs… Can anyone say it better than dear, Dickens? One way to prepare for the cold and flu season is to create this "Get Well Soon" Spray. It is a wonderful room deodorizer and disinfectant ~ all rolled into one!
  • Since the "sick room" is often stuffy, you will want to mist this natural mixture throughout the house to help kill germs and rid your home of the stale odor.
  • It could also be used to sanitize your surroundings. Use this spray to wipe down door handles, telephones, sink handles, etc., to pave the path to health.
  • An added bonus is the aromatherapy benefits for the patient. The essential oils we used in this recipe are all effective in relieving symptoms associated with the flu and cold. 


"Essential oils are about cleansing the air, rather than merely masking bad smells."

How to prepare:

In a small spray bottle, add the following ingredients in the order they appear:
  • 1 tsp. vodka, optional (cheap kind is fine) ~ It helps to disperse the oils, acts as a preservative and is also a disinfectant and antibacterial. Some people use rubbing alcohol but it is not as natural a choice as vodka. However, if you have a weakness to alcohol, then I encourage you to skip this ingredient altogether. Being this is only a one-cup recipe, it will keep (meaning the essential oils will not lose their potency) for the time period it takes to use the spray up (shake before each use).
  • 1 cup of water (distilled is best but I use tap water) ~ Add to spray bottle after the ingredients mentioned above. 
Variations:

You may replace some of the oils in this recipe with drops of rosemary essential oil or clove essential oil (both boast antibacterial and disinfectant properties) but I would definitely include the lemon oil (and not substitute it).

Printables:


Here is our homemade label for your use. You will find other printable labels for cleaning products here.

Notes:

I like to use travel size 3 oz. bottles for my room sprays (and split this recipe between three bottles and keep them around the house). Also, glass is a superior choice when working with essential oils but use what you have. I personally use plastic as the inexpensive choice and find that it suits us fine.

You can purchase doTERRA *quality* essential oils from Amazon (which helps to support this site).  Thank you!


"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction;
who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies…"
~ Psalm 103:2-4

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome though I hope you won't have to use it much this season (if you know what I mean :)

      Delete
  2. I have come to love your blog more and more everyday.....I am not a follower of blogs, but happened to get directed to yours and I am so grateful that I did...I feel very at home here..:) Amy Watson

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love the essential oils, I need to stock up on them.

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. Found it from Homestead Barn Hop #132. Thanks for sharing - I pinned it and plan to use it for get well baskets.
    Lea @ www.adropofthis.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just pinned this - thank you for sharing! :)

    I'm visiting from the Wise Woman Link-up this morning~
    Lisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your post. I just found you over at The Homestead Barn Hop and would love for you to come share at my Saturday Spotlight Blog Hop!

    April
    Angels Homestead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will have to make a visit over :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Jes for sharing this recipe on Wildcrafting Wednesday!!! LOVE your labels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does it matter if the vodka has a flavoring in it or does it need to be just plain ol' vodka? - Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know much about vodkas but what flavor is it? How is it flavored? I think that would make the difference. Obviously something clean and fresh like lemon would work… But if it is chemical ingredients that may hinder the "all natural" part of this project… You could also skip the vodka since this is such a small batch… Does this help? ~ JES :)

      Delete
  9. Well, it's "Chocolate Raspberry Flavored Premium Vodka" lol! :-) It was fairly pricey, so I'm not sure how my husband would feel about me just "spraying it into the air" (ha!) since it was his indulgent purchase. :-) - Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree!!! You would be creating a "get mad soon" spray :) Just skip the vodka, it will still be great! And if you use it up quickly then no harm done! :)

      Delete
  10. Saw a link to this post on Frugally Sustainable's Facebook page. Pinning...... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I work in a Medical Clinic and am so tired of all that antibacterial hand sanitizer. I am going to make this and use it at my desk. Thank you so much for sharing, at last something natural in such a sanitized environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a breath of "fresh" air it will be :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  12. Love this idea! I use those oils often, but love the way you have labeled it . Great way to introduce essential oils to people. Would love it if you would come and share this at Oil me Up Wednesdays at My lamp is full.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea! I use those oils often, but love the way you have labeled it . Great way to introduce essential oils to people. Would love it if you would come and share this at Oil me Up Wednesdays at My lamp is full.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you think using witch hazel instead of vodka would work? Also, do you think it would smell pleasant to switch clove with the lavendar? My husband absolutely hates the smell of lavender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, I have never tried the witch hazel but it seems like other room spray recipes have it so it will probably blend the oils and water together just fine. Also, I think the clove would probably give it a nice mulling spice smell... Hope this helps! P.S. The lavender isn't that noticeable with the lemon but if he can't handle a speck then do try the clove ;)

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous! Loving aromatherapy as an authentic way to get well soon and help with recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. JES, this of course, sounds completely divine and fresh and lovely. What a beautiful way you have of presenting things too. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. With the oils you linked to have you found them to be water down or are they legit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! doTERRA oils are definitely legit and have blessed us in many ways! :) I use them exclusively for my medicinal recipes. When it comes to body scrubs and other fun (non-medicinal) uses, I will use the less expensive NOW brand. I hope this helps!

      Delete
  18. Scribd says the document has been removed.(9-30-2020)

    DavetteB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Thanks for letting me know! I will try and remedy it!

      Delete