Monday, January 14, 2013

Garlic and Cheese Bread Twist ~ A Loaf to Love!


If you love a good, cheesy loaf of garlic bread, then I encourage you to continue reading! Using your favorite bread recipe, just add a few extras to make your basic loaf into something special. Have I mentioned how delicious it is when hot and slathered in butter?


First off, prepare your favorite bread dough. Ours is a whole wheat blend with a few added seeds (flax and chia) for that hearty chewiness. I don't know if they retain their nutritional value when baked but it's worth a try! The dough has already risen once at this point...


Now, roll it out into a rectangle on an oiled surface (as if you are making cinnamon rolls). I would say about 12 by 9 inches but it really doesn't need to be precise.


Next, smear about 1/8 cup of melted butter across the dough. This is one of those approximate recipes so if it looks like it needs more, put more. If it looks like too much, then cut back. You just want to cover the dough with a coat of butter.


Mince about 2 - 3 cloves of fresh garlic. If you don't have a garlic press, you may want to consider purchasing one. They make the world of garlic so simple because you don't have to peel them first, just pop in and press! Evenly spread (or smear, rather) the minced garlic across your buttery dough.


Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese, about a cup (or to generously cover dough). I wouldn't use the pre-shredded stuff because of all the anti-caking agents which hinder your cheese from melting nicely.


Gently roll the dough into a log (using the longer length end). When you reach the end, pinch the dough sides together to keep them together. 


Carefully move the dough log onto a greased cookie sheet and hope that it fits!


Cut across the middle of your dough with a pizza cutter. Leave one end of your log uncut by 1/2 inch.


Here is where it gets a bit messy. Carefully open up the dough on each side to expose the middle cheese part.


Twist the two pieces of dough, up and under each other (while trying to keep the cheese part opened and faced up) until you get to the end. Pinch the ends together and fold under to seal them. Don't worry if it comes out messy, it will still taste good! At this point, you may sprinkle on some grated parmesan cheese and cover with a cloth. 


Let dough rise one hour. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees until golden brown (about 15-20 minutes though each oven and bread dough is different). 


Before removing from the oven, check the bottom with a spatula to make sure it is golden brown as well. If it is, then it is ready! After about 5 minutes (when bread has settled), you can carefully move it to a cooling rack. Serve with hot soup and a green, leafy salad… 


"Give us this day our daily bread."
~ Matthew 6:11


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oohh, you should taste it :) Truly our favorite way to eat bread!

      Delete
  2. THAT looks yummy! I will be trying that soon, maybe bless some friends with it over dinner or a dtr in love. I love sharing and preparing yummy recipes.

    Thank you for sharing~

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh! You sound like my type of friend! :)

      Delete
  3. I am going to have to try that one, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. Too bad I can't currently eat cheese right now. Otherwise, I'd give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jes, I hope all is well with you my sister! I am loving the bread and cheese, two of my favorite:-) It looks good! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A favorite pair of mine too (unfortunately :)

      Delete
  6. Oh yumm! My brother would say that this is 'golden and shines with a light from within.' We like cheese around these parts. Thank you for sharing! I pinned it!

    Gretchen
    www.31cups.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brother sounds like mine :) Full of food wisdom! ;)

      Delete
  7. Yum! That looks really good...thanks for sharing!

    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks absolutely melt in your mouth good! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. My granddaugters love cheesy bread so I'm going to make this with them. Thank you for sharing your method.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am making this for supper tonight!! Is it okay to sub cheddar for mozz cheese? I have a lot of cheddar in my fridge that needs used.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not :) It would just give it a different taste but I am sure it will be just as good...

      Delete
  11. Oooh and maybe some banana peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some chopped jalapenos in the bread would be tasty too!

      Delete
  12. Hi, could you give the dough's recipe too please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! :) I have been wanting to post a recipe DIY but haven't gotten a chance yet. In the meantime, if you send me your email, I can email you a copy. I am pleasewritetojes@hotmail.com ~ Happy homemaking!

      Delete
  13. Hi Jes,

    What a tasty treat this is! I've been wanting to start baking my own bread, but of course, I am a little intimidated with the idea of working with yeast. Despite this, I want to give it a try, but when the weather cools down, as it's simply too hot to have the oven on, etc. Thanks for sharing this wonderfully helpful tutorial and amazing pics!

    Happy baking!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poppy, Oh I do hope you give it a try! It is really easy (just takes some time) and there is NOTHING like the aroma and taste of freshly baked bread. This loaf could easily be devoured in one setting (unfortunately it is that tasty!)... If you ever need bread help, feel free to email me with questions...

      And if you can use INSTANT YEAST, it is very hard to mess up on :)

      Delete
  14. Wow, wow, wow this was just enjoyed this afternoon with cheddar and spinach. A new family hit. Garlic butter spinach is particularly good. Thanks for sharing!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you mind sharing your bread recipe? Love your site just found it today and can't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! Feel free to email me and I can send you the recipe! So glad you found us! Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)

      Delete