Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Orange Crazy Cake (No Butter, Eggs, Milk or Mess) ~ Inspired by the Depression Era Recipe (aka Wacky Cake) w/ GF Option


Pretend there is no eggs, butter or milk but that mother has a pantry full of dried provisions and that old orange tree growing in the backyard... Why yes! She can still prepare a tasty cake for her family without those fresh (and often expensive ingredients)! She will serve it on grandmother’s old dish and ice it with a bit of confectioners sugar and some juice from her same seasonal oranges. Making do the old fashioned way...


You see, I am a collector of frugal, use it up, pantry-only, ingredient types of recipes. I keep them in a separate notebook (my preparedness notebook) as you never know when you would need something (using no butter, eggs or milk) for a crisis or you simply run out of eggs and company is on the way for tea (and yet another crisis)! A homemaker who learns from history can be prepared in all kinds of circumstances... she does not fear for the future (Proverbs 31:21). Hence the reason I am crazy for crazy cakes! I have had these citrus versions on my to-do list for some time and am just thrilled with the results! 


This is another crazy cake I adapted for the winter season based on the Depression-era recipe. Though it has no eggs, butter or milk, it is quite tasty! Like the lemon cakes before it, it is prepared with fresh juice and zest instead of the traditional crazy cake recipe which uses vinegar (and I used more orange juice than the vinegar called for). The result is a deliciously moist cake with subtle orange flavor and a brighter burst of orange in the icing.

This recipe is basically a hybrid... it’s a seasonal, use-it-up, frugal pantry specimen ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐ŸŠ

Please visit HERE for the printable recipe!

Happily homemaking,

๐Ÿงก JES


For other recipes featuring PANTRY ONLY/SEASONAL ingredients, you may also be interested in our Apple Crazy CakeZucchini Crazy CakeChocolate Banana Crazy CakeBanana Crazy CakeCarrot Crazy CakeLemon Crazy CakeOld Fashioned Pie Crust and for more inspiration -- Frugal Homemaking Lessons from the Great Depression.

 

14 comments:

  1. Thank you Jes,
    Such a great recipe and sooo easy. Your blog is so full of helpful ideas.
    Blessings Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail! And yes, it is soooo easy and quick! The longest thing is zesting the orange but besides this it comes together in minutes and is SO moist! ♥️ I'd love to hear back if you ever try it! ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! Nice hearing from you! I hope you enjoy it one day ๐ŸŠ ♥️

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I have printed it out for a try sometime. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Please let me know if you make it ๐ŸŠ ♥️

      Delete
  4. I love recipes like this! Yours turned out beautifully! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! If you ever make it, I'd love to see it! You are a beautiful baker Sherry!!! ๐ŸŠ ♥️

      Delete
  5. Crazy cake is so delicious and moist. I love how you can change it up to be so many different flavours. Your orange cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! ๐ŸŠ ♥️ I am having fun with making them!

      Delete
  6. Lol, having a growing 11 yr old boy in the house definitely leaves us milkless and usually bread and butter-less too... Toast is a breakfast fav around here! As is banana bread, but orange is one of my favorite flavors, so this sounds great! I just found your blog through Pinterst I believe...i was looking for a bunny pattern and one bee post, and a scrambled egg/garlic powder recipe and little house on the prairie cookbook post later and here I am! Lol! Funny how the internet brings you to the most unexpected of places! I have to say, when I noticed the last post I read was from 2015, I clicked the "Home" button & held my breath for a second, thinking There's no way she STILL uploads regula.... Wait... Wait a min... I see 2021! Yes! Let's add that shortcut to the home screen so I can check back regularly! Thanks so much! I have terrible insomnia (it's 5am as I lay here sleepless still, but at least I'll have a few good recipes to try this weekend! Lol!). Can't wait to read more!... But I probably will wait til after a few hrs sleep anyway, ๐Ÿ˜‰ lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I can relate... you start up looking for a marmalade recipe and then the next second you are deeply engrossed in an article of how to cure pastrami ๐Ÿ˜‚ So glad you found us here! It's nice to meet you ๐ŸŠ ♥️

      Delete
  7. Hi, Jes! I made your orange crazy cake today for the church youth group that meets in your house. It was perfect! We have an abundance of citrus on our trees right now and I'm so glad to find another way to use them. I made two of these cakes in 9x13 pans and the kids loved it. One said it reminded him of glazed donuts :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that makes me so happy that it worked out! And I love the description of glazed donuts ๐ŸŠ♥️ It's so nice to put our resources to use! Thank you for sharing ♥️

      Delete