Thursday, February 18, 2021

Depression Era Legacy ~ Lemon Cake Recipe ~ Frugal Pantry Ingredients


When going through difficult times, I often think of my great-grandmother who lived during the Great Depression. I think of the things she left behind that we still enjoy today. Hand-embroidered sheets, hand-crocheted curtains, lovely lace shawls, flowing floral skirts and a strong faith in God. Though she endured one of the most trying times in history, she didn't leave behind memories of bitterness... but an abundance of beauty. It is what I hope and pray my family inherits from me... that I may leave behind lovely legacies during any unprecedented time we may find ourselves in.

"The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places;
yea, I have a goodly heritage."
~ Psalm 16:6


I have baked up some lemon cupcakes which are adapted to magnify the beauty of the winter citrus season (and to use up the basket of homegrown lemons on my sink). The crazy cake recipes (also called wacky cakes) are passed down from our Depression-era ancestors and don't require the use of butter, milk or eggs. Surprisingly, they are a very moist and delicious cake! Perhaps my revised recipe using fresh lemon juice and zest (in lieu of the original version using vinegar) can be a humble little legacy I leave behind for my family... 

“Mother’s Loving Lemon Cakes” anyone? ☺️ πŸ’›


It is easy to make in seven steps -- and it is also quite frugal, egg-free, butter-free, milk-free and can even be made gluten-free. For a complete picture tutorial on the concept of preparing the crazy cakes (in case it is foreign to you), you will find step-by-step instructions here: Chocolate Banana Crazy CakeCarrot Crazy CakeBanana Crazy CakeZucchini Crazy Cake and Apple Crazy Cake.


For my printable recipe which can be placed in your recipe book, visit HERE! I hope you enjoy the idea of seasonal baking and using what you have in the cupboard at the same time! It's a matter of a fresh winter lemon and the ingredients in your larder and you are one step closer to being Ma Ingalls 😊 


Happily homemaking,
♡ JES

P.S. The concept of the lemon peel rose is found in our Ebook πŸ’›





#vegan #dairy-free lemon cake #wacky cake

8 comments:

  1. Oh lemon, how I love thee (heehee) Anything lemon calls me to taste - okay, gobble:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I actually didn't start liking lemon desserts until recently! I noticed that as I am aging my taste buds are expanding... which isn't necessarily a good thing πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for sharing your recipes. I think it very important nowadays to rescue the frugal recipes. And thank you so much for tell us about your great-grandmother. She is a pretty inspiration .Muchas gracias, con todo mi corazΓ³n. Le deseo a usted y a su familia salud y bienestar. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Agueda! I agree with you about the frugal recipes! If our pantry is full, we can still cook and bake for our family in cases of crisis, etc.. Blessings to you and your family!
      πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try these! I have added the recipe to my desserts binder. πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Please let me know how it comes out when you do πŸ’›

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the recipe! Lemon is just what everybody need in February

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! It adds a bit of sunshine... a promise of spring πŸ’›

      Delete