Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Some Interesting Thoughts on Education...


As we prepare for another school year, I thought to share some interesting (thought provoking maybe?) quotes on education that have intrigued me in some way or another over the years. 


“Thank goodness I was never sent to school;
it would have rubbed off some of the originality. ” 
~ Beatrix Potter


"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education."
~ Theodore Roosevelt


"An educational system isn't worth a great deal if it teaches young people how to make a living
but doesn't teach them how to make a life."
~Author Unknown


"He who opens a school door, closes a prison."
~Victor Hugo


"What a misfortune it is that we should thus be compelled
to let our boys' schooling interfere with their education!"
~Grant Allen, 1894 {often attributed to Mark Twain}


"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve."
~ Roger Lewin


"They say that we are better educated than our parents' generation.
What they mean is that we go to school longer.
It is not the same thing."
~ Richard Yates


"You send your child to the schoolmaster, 
but 'tis the schoolboys who educate him."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


"We are students of words: we are shut up in schools, and colleges, and recitation-rooms,
for ten or fifteen years, and come out at last with a bag of wind, a memory of words,
and do not know a thing."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


"A child educated only at school is an uneducated child."
 ~ George Santayana


"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school."
~Albert Einstein


Some of these quotes are quite harsh and some quite true (while some are both)! Which ones, if any, are your favorites? Also, if you are interested in free homeschool unit studies, visit here. For information on a Charlotte Mason home education, visit here. Happy homeschooling!

10 comments:

  1. These are definitely food for thought! Education is on my mind a lot and I appreciate posts like these that encourage dialogue and genuine thought rather than a close-ended conversation. Thank you JES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my favorite "I never let my schooling interfere with my education" Mr. Sam Clemens:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Emerson nailed it. My husband has lost count of the number of engineers he has had to take time to train at work yet all of them have a framed piece of paper that says they are know their stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them all! Especially the second Ralph Waldo Emerson quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Teddy Roosevelt quote - It's a real gem : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. JES, in our household, our mantra is 'There's more to education, than education'. It opens our eyes to all kinds of learning opportunities. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am eternally grateful that I was able to homeschool our children. Thank you for reminding me of how blessed we were. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love homeschooling and these are great quotes. I like the Roger Lewan quote, I want my kids to learn to solve the problem in their own unique way. After all isn't that why we homeschool. I want them to think for themselves. We are blessed!
    Have a lovely week and enjoy your school year!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jes. "He who opens a school door, closes a prison," by Victor Hugo is my fav. I know education is a powerful thing and learning can free us from the prison of ignorance. Nancy A @ obloggernewbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete