Thursday, November 15, 2012

Golden "Company" Cornbread ~ Printable Recipe

"Ma rolled up her sleeves and washed her hands and mixed cornbread,
while Mary brought the wood and Laura set the table."
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie

This is our *all time family favorite* cornbread recipe which is so simple to make since you are placing everything inside one bowl (love those kind). It is hard to believe that I used to spend money on mixes! Here is how we prepare it:


"They talked about spareribs, and turkey with dressing, and baked beans,
and crackling cornbread, and other good things."
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder, Farmer Boy

Place in a large mixing bowl the following dry ingredients (then stir):
  • 1 c. Organic cornmeal
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 2 c. all purpose flour
  • 3/4 c. sugar (You can also get away with using 1/2 c. sugar but it is not as sweet or 1/2 c. honey can be substituted but cornbread will be more dense.)
  • 2 tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt 


Once the dry ingredients are stirred, add the following:
  • 1/2 c. oil (We use sunflower or grape-seed oil.)

And:
  • 4 eggs

Lastly:
  • 3 c. milk (I used the same glass container for the oil so pardon the weird oily milk look.)

Stir all ingredients together until smooth with a wire whisk to break up any clumps.


Pour mixture into a greased, 9 by 13 inch pan. Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and bake for approx. 35 minutes. When toothpick in center comes out clean (and top is golden brown) then it is ready. Let it sit a few minutes prior to serving to make sure the cornbread has set.

Note: Cornbread goes great with beans for a frugal and filling meal.

You may also be interested in our Cornbread Mix-in-a-Jar kit!

* HERE is a printable recipe should you like to add it to your Recipe Book *


"In the middle of the table she set a milk-pan full of beautiful brown baked beans, and now from the oven she took the square baking-pan full of golden corn-bread. The rich brown smell and the sweet golden smell curled deliciously together in the air."
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie


20 comments:

  1. Mm, your cornbread looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to make :) It is always a hit over here!

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for a good cornbread recipe to try, and I think I have now found one. I'm seriously thinking about try this cornbread recipe with some beans and veggies this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also cut the recipe in half and baked in a 8 by 8 square pan. Works out great too :)

      Delete
  4. Yum! I will try your recipe. I love baking corn bread on Winter a lot. Thank you sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do enjoy your blog. The recipe sounds delicious. I actually like corn bread with chili.

    ...commenting about your previous post... I love homeschooling. We too are studying history from Creation and on. We are using Sonlight for our curriculum.

    Blessings, Deanna
    @ http://theheartshunger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comments! Are you enjoying the history in order as much as myself? I am having a blast learning!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, yes! I love the chonological order and keeping Biblical history in there too. Right now we've worked our way up to 165bc.
      God bless

      Delete
    3. Excellent! We are going to start Babylon soon... Have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  6. Just me again! I just wanted to let you know that I tried your cornbread recipe last night, and it was good! I shared it on my blog, and left a link on my post to your blog with the recipe. :) I had to change the recipe a bit though for our dietary needs, but it was SO GOOD! Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for the follow up!!! I am so glad to hear it worked out for you :)

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious, JES! Your blog is lovely. Thank you so much for linking up at Artful Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a great recipe. Will definitely be trying it out! Thank you!

    God bless you as you abide in Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing here today and I hope your family enjoys it :)

      Delete
  9. My son just asked me a couple days ago to make some cornbread, I have never made it before but am going to try your recipe. We recently started living more frugal and "old fashion", and my kids and I are enjoying it so much! Thank you and will be a devoted follower of your blog. God Bless <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you enjoy it! It is our favorite :)

      Delete