Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Teaching the Golden Rule to Children


As a mother, one of the most important qualities I would like to see in my children are thoughtfulness and consideration. There is so much "me" and selfishness in the world that I don't want to be a contributor! We read so many books which expose our children to these wonderful concepts, yet I saw that when a real life situation came up, they didn't respond in the way I had hoped. After much prayer, the answer was to come and it was through me, the mother. I would need to make an effort to start showing more consideration and thoughtfulness towards my children.

For example, when I would see my child looking extremely tired, I would suggest to them that I would finish their chores so that they could shower and freshen up. I had to open my eyes to any opportunity to show compassion to them in their childlike situations and something so small was growing beautiful results. Thoughtfulness gave birth in their little hearts.

One evening, a few weeks after my mission had started, I had a headache and I suppose it was pretty obvious (I am by no means perfect!) when my daughter noticed that I didn't look too well. She told me to go ahead and lay down, she would take care of the dishes that night. This small victory brought tears to my eyes. Slowly but surely, the fruits began to show in something so simple and yet so effective… In fact, the answer was there in the Scriptures all along!

"And as ye would that men should do to you,
do ye also to them likewise."
~ Luke 6:31

I encourage you to begin looking for ways to bless your children and watch how your example is the best lesson you can give. ~ JES


3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, you can't possibly know how I needed to read this. Such a little thing but I've been missing it. Thank you so much or being the vessel through which God delivered to me a very important message today!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, it is the little things that we put aside because we are on guard for the big things… I know this is true in my life, thanks for visiting Kasey.

      Delete
    2. It's 2023, but thank you for this
      I needed it. I was praying to God about it.

      Delete