Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Christian at Home


Home, Be it Ever so Humble by George Smith


This "clip" from an old Victorian book is very sobering but has urged me to focus on what is right and true in my daily walk. I hope it inspires you to look at the little moments in life and realize how large they are to the "small" people living in our homes and are watching how we react to life's many situations. We can get caught up in saving our best for the outside world when our family is in need of God's grace and the blessings of a Christian mother every day!
~ JES

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. 
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. " ~ 1 Corinthians 13:1-8 (NKJV, Emphasis in bold is mine.)


11 comments:

  1. yes..this does inspire me. I try very hard to make our home a Christian home...it is hard work!!! but God helps and the kids see my efforts and appreciate those efforts...
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard but with God's help, "we can do all things"! :) Thanks for your visit today!

      Delete
  2. I had to read the second paragraph of this book excerpt several times! As keepers of the home, sometimes, we can forget how important it is to minister to those souls who we see each and every day.

    Thank you for sharing this! It was a sobering reminder for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and our husbands are included too :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely true! I have to ask the Holy Spirit to keep me humble before my family first. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know what book this is from? It is lovely!
    Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is MOTHER, HOME & HEAVEN which is the book that Almanzo gifted to Laura Ingalls Wilder in their younger years. I am glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  5. What book is this quote found it? It is lovely!
    Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is MOTHER, HOME & HEAVEN which is the book that Almanzo gifted to Laura Ingalls Wilder in their younger years. I am glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  6. The LORD was talking to me about this just last evening. Specifically, how we smile and encourage others when we are out, but are serious and even sullen at home with loved ones. Guilty. He told me the reason is that when we are out, we are focused on others. When we are home, we relax and become more me focused. I've always wondered. Now I know and can work on it with Holy Spirit's help.

    God bless you,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete