Thursday, January 5, 2023

Preserving Orange Gem Jelly, Discards and Delighting in the Light

"A man ought to carry himself in the world as an orange tree would if it could walk up and down in the garden, swinging perfume from every little censer it holds up to the air."
~ Henry Ward Beecher

I love to work with citrus in the winter. Not only is it tasty and refreshing and full of the necessary vitamin C, but bright and beautiful in the somber chilly background of the season. Preserving food in jars is also very welcoming in this weather as the warmth canning brings into the kitchen is much appreciated. Plus, adding extra jars to the pantry shelf is indeed lovely too. Would you care to join me in preserving some delicious orange gem jelly? As the name suggests, it is reminiscent of those "Sunkist" sugared orange gem candies I loved as a child. Plus, it is quite simple to make.


Ingredients: 
  • 2 c. freshly squeezed, strained orange juice (from approx. 5-6 oranges) 
  • 1/3 c. freshly squeezed, strained lemon juice (from approx. 2 lemons) 
  • 2/3 c. water 
  • 6 tbsp. pectin (I buy it in bulk HERE or 1 box of Sure Jell)
  • long strip of orange peel (from oranges used above) 
  • 3 c. sugar (I use organic from Costco)

Directions:

Place the strained orange juice, lemon juice and water in a large cooking pot. Drop in the orange peel. Stir in the pectin until dissolved and bring to a boil (stirring frequently). Once liquid reaches a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, then add in the sugar and bring to another rolling boil (stirring frequently). Once liquid reaches another rolling boil, let it boil for one minute longer while stirring constantly so it doesn’t overflow. Remove from heat. Using tongs, remove strip of orange peel and discard. Skim off any foam quickly and ladle jelly into hot, sterilized half-pint (or quarter-pint) jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rim of jars with a dampened clean towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling water canner. Remove jars and cool (out of the way of any drafts) on a kitchen towel once processing time is complete. 


Wait for 12 hours and then you may store your lovely jelly in the pantry.

Yield: 4 half-pint jars (or 8 1/4-pint jars)

Note: This recipe has been adapted from the “National Center for Food Preservation” website.



You will find the printable version of this recipe HERE should you like to add it to your "Preserving Notebook"


Though I was gifted one small basket of homegrown oranges, I was able to preserve so much from them! 

This was all produced for our home from the free basket of organic, homegrown oranges (last year). I thought it would be fun to include ways you can use up every last bit of this refreshing citrus fruit (no discards here!):

- 8 quarter-pint jars of orange gem jelly (recipe shared HERE)

- 8 half-pint jars of macerated marmalade (this was an experiment and a failure at that so I'm definitely not going to share this recipe!)


- 3 dehydrator trays dried zest (which I removed from the oranges before making the jelly - for medicinals, cooking, baking, DIY products, etc.)

- 1 dehydrator tray dried orange slices (to be used in tea blends, infusing large jars of sun tea, potpourri, garnish and my newest idea of placing under roasting poultry to impart flavor)


- a few quart jars of orange peel vinegar for making cleaning products.

- jar of orange peel ends for the freezer (when I save enough I will make pectin with them) The ends can also be used to make many other things - visit my ebook for 100+ ways to use fruit scraps for more ideas.


- 3 orange roses (for fun! - to embellish orange cakes, etc.) (The tutorial is also shared in my ebook - 100+ ways to use fruit scraps.)

And finally, you get to place all your resourceful homemade items on your pantry shelf just like Ma Ingalls would have done! 


“The sunshine came streaming through the windows into the house, and everything was so neat and pretty. The table was covered with a red cloth, and the cookstove was polished shining black. Through the bedroom door Laura could see the trundle bed in its place under the big bed. The pantry door stood wide open, giving the sight and smell of goodies on the shelves, and Black Susan came purring down the stairs from the attic, where she had been taking a nap."
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods

I think the joy one gets from reading these pioneering classics is the ability to see the beauty in the ordinary. While the darkness seems to be looming in so many areas of life, these books (and Scripture - read Phil 4:8) remind us to glorify in the basic but beautiful blessings.  To enjoy the heavenly gifts...

Sunshine, the chirping of the birds, the early luscious spring growth and the aroma of wet earth, the cozy kitchen with the curtains flowing in the breeze, the smell of a newborn child, the smile from a toddler, the embrace from a child, the laughter shared with a teen, the steadfastness of a husband’s love, the eternal promises from Above.

Dearest reader, though it is winter, let us remember to delight in the Light.

“Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying,
"I am the light of the world.
He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness,
but have the light of life."
~ John 8:12

I hope you enjoyed today's winter preservation post with a touch of simple pioneer nostalgia. It is raining this morning and the sound of the pitter-patter is so gentle and soothing. I'm looking forward to beginning my nesting for the day. Happy homemaking! Love, JES

40 comments:

  1. Thank you for this inspiration, I love your blog so much. Could you tell me, can I process oranges from the grocery store like this? Do I need to do anything to them aside from washing them very well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Yes, you absolutely can! But being you are going to use the peel, make sure you wash it really well in a vinegar/soap water solution to remove any chemicals. I would say buy organic but I know even that is questionable these days. I do hope you enjoy this little project should you do it! :) Happy homemaking!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I am able to get organic but I will be sure to wash.

      Delete
  2. You make homemaking look pretty. I also love the quote by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs. White! I think your beautiful words make homemaking look pretty too :) Have a lovely week ♥️♥️♥️

      Delete
  3. I love this blog.And this was right on time I just got an excess amount of oranges and tangelos,I may try mixing them to make this lovely gem jelly.It looks so pretty and happy.Thank you for sharing another lil "gem".
    Doneen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Doneen! That sounds like a wonderful flavor combination ♥️ I hope you try it!

      Delete
    2. It turned out beautifully.I love the combination.Thank you again ,this is definitely a keeper for my canning notebook.
      Doneen

      Delete
  4. I read every one of your posts as soon as it’s published. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bright, lovely post. We enjoy orange jelly too, and I love how you stretched your basket of oranges to make so many different things. You truly used every part of the buffalo 😉 to create beauty and provision for your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ♥️ I did think of the buffalo again as I was writing this post :) Honestly it's such a great line "he" came up with 😉

      Delete
  6. I am so very happy to have you blogging again! I love your wisdom!! I want you to know for my birthday a couple years ago my husband bought ink for the printer, paper, report covers and a huge notebook so I could print off your ebook and have a hard copy! I love it - though we in the far north pay a mint for citrus. I made the orange roses for jar toppers of stove simmering spices for gifts~ please keep posting here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! That warms my heart ♥️ Thank you so much for sharing that with me ♥️♥️♥️

      Delete
  7. Hi Jes! Is it possible to use honey for sweetener or much less sugar? Love your literary quotes and references! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alana, I'm with you there! Actually I reduced the sugar from the original recipe already. Believe it or not it was more. There is the issue of it not jelling if there isn't enough sugar but it can probably be reduced by another 1/2 cup at least as it gelled really well for me. You can use honey but there are certain ways to do that. I am actually taking a canning class on preserving with honey in February. I will be able to share more on that topic with confidence once I complete it. But from what I do know, it will definitely affect the flavor as honey is more distinct (some fruits I am okay with it and other fruits its not so tasty). Being honey is a liquid it may affect the set so I definitely wouldn't recommend a 1 to 1 replacement. Some websites suggest using half the amount of honey (So for 3 cups of sugar, use 1 1/2 cups of honey). Hope that makes sense! Happy experimenting!

      Delete
    2. I just remembered I touched on this subject in our blog article, WAYS TO USE HONEY:

      "According to the Simply Canning blog, when canning with honey, keep in mind that honey is sweeter. For every cup of sugar called for, replace with ¾ cup of honey. You will also need to remember that when you add honey you are adding liquid content. Therefore, reduce the other liquid content by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey added."

      Source:

      https://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2016/06/thomasinas-tip-sheet-ways-to-use-honey.html

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    3. I loved this post as I love so many of your writings! I was looking for something in the garage and found I have lots of new lids and pectin. I'm inspired to try jelly and jam making during the winter now.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful post! Your blog is my favorite. I have printed your recipes and bought your ebook....so thankful you are still writing..love Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post and have enjoyed reading your posts again now you are back to more regular blogging. I have downloaded your e-book and wanted to have it printed out in the store as our home printer wouldn't do a good job but the people in the store said I couldn't do it as there was the issue of copyright. If you are happy for me to have it printed out properly can you mention that in a reply so I can show that? Much appreciated. Magda from Queensland, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magda, thanks for your purchase 😊 Yes, anyone who purchases the ebook as you have done has permission to print out a copy.

      P.S. if this doesn’t work, you can send me your email (I won’t publish it) and I can send you a short written consent.

      Thank you so much ☺️

      Delete
  10. Great Post! I think we could use more of the ability to see the beauty in the ordinary. It would make every day special. What I love most about citrus in the Winter is how uplifting the scent is. Whether it is oranges or lemons or grapefruit, or any of them, the scent just makes me smile. I like how you try to use all of it in some way. It's like a game and challenge to find ways to use each bit and bob. I have jars of the peelings I dried for stove top potpourri. Which I started doing from reading your ebook. Thanks for all your ideas and recipes. And the gentle way you show us all how truly blessed we are. Amen~

    Darlene

















    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely post and beautiful jam in your jars. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not been a Christian for very long.......I was saved just seven years ago this January, at the age of 57........I never had any Christian upbringing, but on a cold January night, in desperation, I called on his name, a God I wasn't even sure existed, and he saved me.

    Since then I've been pretty much alone as a believing follower of Christ, I have a husband, grown children and grandchildren, and I love them all dearly.

    What I'm really saying Jess, your blog is such an encouragement to me and help, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your faithfulness that helps many of us to understand our calling as women in this crazy upside down world.

    It's such a blessing to have found you and I pray God continues to use you to bless others in this wonderful way.
    Kim







    I pray blessings over you and your family.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kim, Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is beautiful and encouraging. Thank you for taking the time to share some "light" here!

      Delete
  13. Sweet JES, you always share such inspirational ideas! I love citrus in winter too. I just bough some lemons today, and intend to use them for some housecleaning projects, and also in a couple of recipes this week. I need to find some organic oranges too. They are like a light in the darkness of winter, even as Jesus is the greatest light in this world of darkness! Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just checking on you. Are you okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much 🥺🥺🥺 We are doing okay, it's just a lot is happening in our family (it came out of nowhere) and I really need to be 100 percent present and available to everyone here. Hopefully things will settle down soon. Thank you so much for your kind concern ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

      Delete
    2. Thinking of you Jess. Praying all improves soon. Missing your posts 💐 I so enjoy your encouragement and advice. Kirsty, Australia

      Delete
  15. Thank you for this little spot of sunshine!
    I will make this recipe when I make my lemon curd. We are doing well for eggs so I always like to make lemon curd this time of year.
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 28, 2023 at 11:21 AM

    Jes, it seems like ages since I've seen a post here or on Instagram. I'm thinking about you and I hope all is well in your corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog is a breath of fresh air. I'm praying that things settle down for you and your loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praying for my dear sister in Christ🙏🙏♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jes!
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the work that you put into your blog posts. I love that you keep it real and that you only publish posts as life allows. I have so much respect for you taking breaks when you believe it is appropriate. Your posts are always so realistic and practical. It reminds me a lot of the way that my mum keeps house. Being inventive, making the most of everything, and taking in all the joy that each day offers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just came by to see how you were doing. Good to see you are okay! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, JES!
    I hope everything is okay with you and your family and that whatever you are facing, God may bless you.
    Praying for you and yours!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I keep telling myself that I'm going to make this jelly. It sounds zippy! I've missed your blogging dear lady. I was reminded to drop by your blog again through one of your comments on one of my old blog posts. Glad to reconnect!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  23. JES so looking forward to you returning to your blog. You are very much missed. Hope that whatever is happening has begun to subside and that all will be well soon. You have so much beauty, physically and spiritually, that you share in your writing that it is the blessing so many of us need in this crazy world. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've missed you. Pray things are settling down and all is well. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dearest Jes, Just dropping by to let you know you have truly been missed. It's almost like a desert out here with so few high quality homemaking blogs such as yours. I appreciate all you have done with this site, and still come back often to glean from your inspiration, knowledge, recipes, etc. God's richest blessing be upon you.

    ReplyDelete