Monday, August 24, 2020

Make Your Own Natural "Neosporin®" ~ All-Purpose Skin Salve & Super Salve Recipe


I remember I used to be intimidated by salves. I thought it was too complicated and involved for a busy homeschooling, homesteading, homemaker. But that is far from true (especially with the tips I am going to share)! They are so quick to make and one of the most used in our herbal medicine cabinet! You simply melt your ingredients together! I am sharing two recipes. One is a basic, all-purpose, Neosporin® type salve while the other is a bit stronger for those with eczema or fungus related issues that I will refer to as "super salve".


There are many ways you can make this! I encourage you to adapt this recipe to use what you have on hand. To begin, you will need either extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil or a combination of the two. I personally like to prepare the salve with a combination of the two as you get the beneficial properties from both oils.

In order to get a more medicinal recipe, I encourage you to make an infused oil first using either lavender or calendula flowers (or a combination of both). You will find the tutorial for making a medicinal oil here! If you wanted to specifically make the "super salve" for fungus and eczema, I would highly suggest you to infuse your oil with calendula flowers as it is excellent for such skin conditions (see all that you can do with the amazing calendula flower here).


To begin, measure out your oil(s) -- I used 1 1/2 c. for my recipe (use the medicinal or regular oils or blend of both the oils). Place inside a double boiler. This is where the quick tip comes in. To bypass excess clean up, save up some of your discarded canned food tins to make a disposable double boiler (that means you don't need to clean up the beeswax residue after - you just toss your can!). Just add a few inches of water into a sauce pan and place your clean can inside. Add the oil to the can and you have a makeshift double boiler!


Once the oil has warmed up (you don't want to boil it!) and you have melted down the coconut oil (if you are using it), you can add your beeswax. I used 6 tbsp. for my recipe. 


The basic idea is to melt the beeswax with the oil and then remove it from the heat. I use a bamboo skewer as a disposable stirring stick. As you can see, I am not too fond of cleaning up oily and waxy dishes. This makes salve-making a breeze.


Once it is removed from heat, I stir it a bit to cool it off as I don't want to add the essential oils to a hot mixture (it will evaporate the oils). But you don't want it too cooled off as the oil mixture will start to set into a salve! :) 

P.S. Notice the woven potholder? I think every homeschooling mother owns one!


Next -- stir in the essential oils. 

For the basic salve recipe (aka "natural" Neosporin®) I would add 15 drops of lavender essential oil and 15 drops of melaleuca (aka tea tree) oil.


For the stronger "super" salve recipe which is great for treating fungus and eczema, add in these essential oils:

-10 drops lavender essential oil
-10 drops melaleuca/tea tree essential oil
-10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
-10 drops geranium essential oil


Finally, pour the mixture into clean containers and let the salve set before applying the lids. I save and recycle small jars for these kinds of projects. Baby jars and pimento jars are perfect sized.


This recipe yields approximately 1-1/2 cups of salve and has a shelf life of about a year. The reason I make a larger amount is that there is always someone who could use it! They are an excellent addition to your first aid cabinet, are a useful provision for your preparedness kit and salves make wonderful gifts.

Happy herbal-homemaking!


This article is a part of our Create Your Own Home Pharmacy Series.


Disclaimer: I am not a certified herbalist but a homemaker interested in the arts of natural healing. The information I have learned has been gleaned through study of some of the following favorite books; Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's GuideGrow Your Own Drugs by James Wong, and The Complete Illustrated Book of Herbs by Reader's Digest and websites of herbalists (such as the Bulk Herb Store Blog).


I am not a doctor. While I do seek scientific confirmation of the safety and effectiveness of the herbs and remedies I use, remember that using remedies is a personal decision. Nothing I say on this blog is approved by the FDA or intended to diagnose, treat or prevent disease. All things on this blog are my opinion or the opinion of others. Also, if you have a medical condition, are taking pharmaceutical drugs, or are pregnant, please consult your physician prior to taking herbs.


14 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful salve recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'll not attempt this recipe although your instructions and pictures are quite thorough. I must comment on the pot holder, though! My grandmother was widowed at age 42, and left with 7 children in 1922. My father was 5 years old, his younger sister was 2. She taught school, farmed, survived!! She crocheted, did tatting, and made potholders. I am 72 years old & STILL have potholders my grandmother made!! I have given them as gifts to others & still have plenty. Your comment made me laugh, because I remember making them as a child & taught my children how to make them too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that family history story! Thank you for sharing! She is one of the inspiring ancestors I glean so much encouragement from! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this salve recipe Jes! My husband is having facial surgery this week and I have been wanting a salve to protect and help the wound heal, as well as to reduce scaring. I have a lavendar olive oil, that I made earlier this summer, and I am going to use sunflower oil too, which I believe is excellent for scar reduction. I only have solid beeswax. Is six tablespoons volume 3 ounces in weight? Thank you again, Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill, I think that is a great idea! Especially with the sunflower oil! Cocoa butter is good for scars too if you have it. As far as the beeswax goes, according to

      https://www.yycwax.com/beeswax-in-recipes-converting-volume-to-weight/

      1 TBSP of beeswax = 0.5 oz

      so your measurement would be right at 3 ounces! :)

      Nice hearing from you again!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this, Jes. I have some doTERRA essential oils I need to use up as they are too expensive for soapmaking. Being the end of winter we have very dry skin in our area as the winds of the past few days have been constant plus the house heating dries out the skin as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I use my expensive oils for the more medicinal recipes as well and save the less expensive for more of the scent style recipes. ♥️😊 You can’t go wrong with adding this all purpose salve to your cabinet 😊

      Delete
  5. Thank you Jes for this recipe...I'm sure gonna make this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome 😊♥️ It’s a fun yet useful little project 🏷

      Delete
  6. Wonderful tutorial! I do something like this for my home to. I've never used geranium essential oil before...that is something I'm going to look into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is is so good for your skin! Especially my aging skin :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, wow! I'm so glad you posted this!
    My oldest daughter, 14, and I are experimenting with herbs and we have recently started making many recipes from your ebook. We are really enjoying it!
    I am especially interested in the medicinal recipes you share as I'd like to help our family in this way when/should we need it.
    Thank you for making it pretty, fun, interesting, and easy to learn and do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! It is my pleasure! Thank you for your kind words! :)

      Delete